Author Topic: Webcam  (Read 460 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Webcam
« on: May 04, 2015, 07:23:47 pm »
The webcam will be off for maintenance starting on the morning of May 5, hopefully back up by the 7th. The CAT-5 cable is being replaced after almost 10 years of outdoor use and the mount on the tree will be replaced because it's rotting. I am having to reroute the CAT-5 a different way into the house because we are having some siding replaced. I have been putting this job off for the past couple of years 'cause it's a really hassle, but hopefully this will allow it to function for another 5-10 years.  ;D

cheers
Al Hospers

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
Re: Webcam
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 10:14:01 am »
...will replacing this cable bring the weather back too Al! Still showing 4-18. Or did I miss something somewhere and its on the permanent fritz?

Offline perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 07:31:06 am »
I've always thought Al's webcam feature a pretty unique part of this, a (relatively) small website for a (relatively) tight demographic.  Its info doesn't influence my climbing plans much (practically a time zone away and having forgotten how to climb at this point), but checking to see how things are drying, or early/late season ice conditions, is a distinct bonus for many, I'm sure.

Consider coughing up a few sheckels, lira, loonies, or pesos and sending them Al's way, maybe.
Waddayathink?

I'm in.
Dale

If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 11:36:56 am »
Webcam status:

The webcam is finally back up and running. It took a couple of days to get things going again, but it seems good now. I rebuilt the webcam "hut" and ran all new CAT 5 wiring from the tree where the camera is located into the house. because we had work done on replacing the vent where the wire came into the house, I had to change where the cable came in and drill a hole through the siding to get it into our upstairs office. In addition I added a new router to the setup which should be faster than the old one. Amazingly I think the old one was 10baseT [sigh]. It had been a while since I even looked at it, so that was a revelation. I also performed a thorough cleaning of the DotWorks weatherproof housing, which was a bit of a mess. Bugs had gotten in there & there was even a spider web! I think that the sealing I have performed will eliminate that problem. While I was setting up the software this morning I also redid many of the automated presets on the camera. The one on the beast Flake I think is particularly nice. I wish I could make it so that the pictures were archived, like on the Observatory site, but this camera doesn't do that - in spite of being a $2000 camera. [sigh] I still have a couple of small things to do like extend the sides of the enclosure because of the way I had to mount the camera, but it's not too big of a thing to do and I'll get to it before winter. I will also have to wrap it in insulation before the cold weather hits as well. 

RE the Weather Station:

The weather station is one of the Davis ones that requires a computer to perform the uploads to the site, unlike the camera. I use a Windows server to do this. Unfortunately, for reasons I don't completely understand, occasionally the server restarts. When it does it requires me to login before it runs the weather station software. [double sigh] I don't leave the server monitor on, and don't use it for other stuff that often. So if I don't realize the server restarted, it may be a while before I know that the weather station data is not being uploaded. I'm sorry 'bout that. If you notice that the weather data is not up to date, please ping me and let me know. That would be appreciated...

Thanks to Dale for his very kind words and donation to the site. It is always appreciated. I realize that I'm not a big site, but there are a fair # of viewers on a regular basis and I appreciate any support that people are willing to provide.

Cheers

Al Hospers
al@neclimbs.com
Al Hospers