Author Topic: Dean Potter crosses the void.  (Read 4367 times)

Offline xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs God
Dean Potter crosses the void.
« on: May 17, 2015, 06:23:03 pm »
Reports coming in saying Dean Potter and partner Graham Hunt both passed in a night BASE jump in Yosemite last night. Dean had been a fixture in climbing since I started and a big influence on me perusing multi pitch/ Trad climbing. Rest in Peace. (Edited to correct partners name)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:22:39 pm by xcrag_corex »
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: Dean Potter crosses the void.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 06:47:09 pm »
That's a really big FUCK

Offline xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 06:57:08 pm »
I agree Strandman. Was a huge influence in my early years of climbing and a drag to say the least. Always a bummer losing one of the greats, and while being in his prime.
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 07:13:20 pm »
 Kick in the gut. Base Sucks...... takes way too many people....

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 07:43:53 pm »
Fuck. What more can I say.

I met Dean at Pawtuckaway when he was in his teens and he lived in Manchester. Was bouldering by himself. We chatted and he asked where I lived and if I could give him a ride home. Which I did.

He'd call me every other week or so and ask if I was going to Pawtuckaway and if I was could I come get him! Probably did this a half dozen times or so. You could tell he was destined to be someone special.

RIP

Offline grubbers

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 08:50:31 pm »
RIP Dean

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Al Hospers

Offline Travis_Dustin

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 07:17:09 am »
RIP Dean
"What ever you do take care of your shoes"  Harry Armstrong

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 09:11:24 am »
A lot og people gave Dean shit about soloing and such..most of the greats get shit.

Offline kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 10:58:48 am »
I climbed with Dean a bunch of times for a couple of years 90-91. Many of the good 5.11's in the MWV I had climbed over the years and Dean wanted to lead every last one. He liked having me belay him because he mostly liked that I'd give him the beta on whatever we were doing with regard to protection. At the time I was actively paragliding and Dean thought that was the coolest thing ever. He left North Conway the following year and the rest is legend. Rest in peace Dean. You will be missed friend.

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 11:06:42 am »
Steph must be a wreck...two husbands past an present lost to this pursuit.I wonder if she will rethink he own jumping  habits or if she will continue to push her own limits with nylon and string. Such a sad loss for everyone. Condolences to the friends and family and RIP, you lived it to the fullest!
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline radair

• NEClimbs Full Member
RIP Dean Potter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 01:09:39 pm »
As you have no doubt heard, Dean & Graham Hunt passed away Saturday on a wing-suit BASE jump gone bad in Yosemite. Dean lived here in the MWV for a while and was one of the most stoked people you'd ever meet. Sad to hear he is gone. Amazing that he lived this long for the insane free solos, free BASE and other adventures he pulled off.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/extreme-athlete-dean-potter-knew-dangers-of-base-jumping/ar-BBjTWig
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 01:11:24 pm by radair »

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 05:17:33 pm »
He died doing what he loved.. the next one who says that gets their head cut off by me. 

If dean ever wanted to die, all he had to do was let go..a passion for life keeps you going in dangerous situations

Offline crazyt

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • whatever
Re: RIP Dean Potter
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 05:25:02 pm »
Cutting edge, inspirational, he took climbing to levels beyond my comprehension and his motives always seemed pure. (selfish as they may seem to be)

work hard, play harder

Offline crazyt

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • whatever
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 05:29:58 pm »
Cutting edge, inspirational, he took climbing to levels beyond my comprehension and his motives always seemed pure. (selfish as they may seem to some)
work hard, play harder