Author Topic: So tell me again...  (Read 6270 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
So tell me again...
« on: June 15, 2015, 08:37:35 pm »
...why you don't need a helmet 'cause it's overhanging, and besides - it's (only) sport climbing!

Al Hospers

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
Re: So tell me again...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 09:09:19 pm »
Well, if you break this down slowly at :40, you can see his right leg is caught behind the rope violently flipping him upside down for a hard hit on the wall. I don't sport climb steep overhanging "fall all the time shit" but I do know, if I did, I would be paranoid as hell that when I fall that rope can't be behind my leg. Watching countless whips from experienced climbers (sport & trad) it seems they are quite automated at getting that rope between the legs, even when they pop off unexpectedly.

This fall did not need to be that bad, helmet or no (no head injury this time)

Granted, shit happens in a split second.

More disconcerting was that the vibe towards the end was "Look, he's out climbing in his cast... still no helmet".

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 09:55:13 pm »
Well, if you break this down slowly at :40, you can see his right leg is caught behind the rope violently flipping him upside down for a hard hit on the wall.

naah man... IMNSHO climbing without a helmet is, to quote Pappy, just f***ing stupid!
Al Hospers

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 06:14:03 am »
+10 8)

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 07:02:05 am »
It looked to me like his helmeted belayer also gave him a terrible belay, short roping him into the wall. It may be that he had no choice to keep him off the ground. It is a little hard to tell from the angle of view.
A little less so now that more people are wearing them, but from experience I still have an initial thought of "gumbie" when I see somebody wearing one and it is a visual cue for me to be extra cautious in making sure they know what they are doing. It depends on the context of course. In some situations they totally make sense. In an overhanging sport situation I would much rather that they are skilled and situationally aware than wearing a piece of plastic on their head. All would probably be best, but it seems like when some people put a helmet on the other two go out the window and they start hanging out under loose rock or other climbers and taking spastic, out of control whippers.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. – John Kenneth Galbrait

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 10:58:02 am »
I couldn't agree more mark...I think 100% that people FEEL safer and sometimes aren't as aware of surroundings

besides, i can't mess up what's left of my hair

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 01:29:08 pm »
After a 30+ year helmet hiatus, I started wearing one (sometimes) because of my three year old daughter (we make her wear one).

The Petzel Sirocco is almost like not wearing a helmet, it is so light.  I actually forget that I have it on.

I sill feel a lot safer without a helmet on an overhanging sport route than I do wearing one on a blocky trad route, or even a blocky sport route.

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 08:45:21 pm »
Seems like ice climbers get used to wearing them and simply forget to take them off in the spring..
 I am pretty much stunned that you guys don't wear helmets route developing.  rapping in to have a look at an unclimbed cliffs in the north east is almost 100% gaurenteed to cause some sort of rockfall.. heck i find rapping in to look at stuff to be about twice as scary as just climbing it ground up.....

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 09:40:13 pm »
rapping in to have a look at an unclimbed cliffs in the north east is almost 100% gaurenteed to cause some sort of rockfall..

Yeah, but it is all BELOW me as I kick it off!   

Offline ed_esmond

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • if you can't laugh at yourself..
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 10:27:47 pm »
Seems like ice climbers get used to wearing them and simply forget to take them off in the spring...

it's not 'cause they "forget…" it because they're all  just "lunatic ice climbers with few or no functioning brain cells."*  it's so sad that they don't even know that they forgot…

oh, and: "Don't mention the scar!"*

ed "who was wondering why you were wearing a helmet the other day when i saw you driving on rte 4…" e

* a major tip o' the hat to tami knight, perhaps the funniest person to ever (and i seriously mean "ever") to write about climbing.  you all owe it to yourself and the rest of us to find and read her book, "Climbing Tales of Terror."   
pragmatic: (adj) dealing with the problems that exist in a specific situation in a reasonable and logical way instead of depending on ideas and theories.

Offline ralbert20

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 07:32:46 am »
Posted this before, posting again:

http://www.grindtv.com/culture/helmets/?adbid=10152581609329895&adbpl=fb&adbpr=8782279894&sm_id=social_aumogrindtvhub_GrindTV_20141208_36903257

Not wearing a helmet is just... DUMB.

You *never* know when something bad is going to come from above.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 09:17:27 am »
I disagree..sometimes you DO know something bad is above you..and you should not be there.

I had a helmet years ago..for ice..gave up that shit pretty quick

My wife says "If you think you need a helmet, i would ask you to stop climbing"
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 09:19:47 am by strandman »

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 10:58:19 am »
Posted this before, posting again:

http://www.grindtv.com/culture/helmets/?adbid=10152581609329895&adbpl=fb&adbpr=8782279894&sm_id=social_aumogrindtvhub_GrindTV_20141208_36903257

Not wearing a helmet is just... DUMB.

You *never* know when something bad is going to come from above.

I have to go with Rob on this one, climbing without a helmet IMO is just dumb. I did not used to wear one but a few days of wondering if my friend was going to live or die changed my attitude.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 06:03:39 pm »
I understand 100%.....let;s see my buddy fell 400' whena rap anchor failed in Alaska..helmet ain't helping there....Another bud got a face hit rock climbing in Yosemite..unless you got a Shoei full face..not helping

I guess i don't understand why everyone is so concerned about others wearing a helmet ?  i don't give a fuck if you wear one or not..I really don't

My wife or almost 29 years started climbing again..I asked if she wanted a helmet   "why, are we going someplace dangerous ?"

I don't buy this helmet shit and never will..it a personal choice

AND in retrospect doesn't fly with me  " if he was"  well he wasn't and that's that....if you really want to be safe..don't climb

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 06:06:55 pm »
rapping in to have a look at an unclimbed cliffs in the north east is almost 100% gaurenteed to cause some sort of rockfall..

Yeah, but it is all BELOW me as I kick it off!

RIGHT..I booted a block today...small freezer size  and guess what ? I pulled up and coiled my line, made sure all was clear and then sent it...

Think it over and then decide..it's not as random as some think..maybe it's not worth doing ????  Run away