Author Topic: So tell me again...  (Read 8384 times)

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
Re: So tell me again...
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2015, 02:40:02 PM »
Agreed Tradman. The whole "you want to be safe don't climb" argument reveals some of this anti-protective wear sentiment. And for others the "Non-Event Feedback Loop" is quite present here.
I still think it should be a choice, albeit an obvious one for those who have loved ones who would miss them.
All you really need to hear from me is "I don't want to wear my helmet today".
The choice you are offering is wear a helmet or show the world you don't care about your loved ones. Seems kind of stacked.

It does, but it is kind of intended to be. I've never had an issue with a partner who decides not to helmet up. I'd respect anyone's choice not to don a lid while rock climbing.

I'd also bet everything I own that if we could communicate with someone who died from an injury that could have been prevented by wearing a helmet that they would be pissed off at themselves for not wearing a lid. My feelings are probably driven from still current grief over the loss of my cousin from such a seemingly benign decision, but watching the heartache of extended family after losing a father of a 3 year old and newborn has definitely made me feel a certain way when it comes to ATV/snowmobile riding. I don't see how climbing is much different from those two sports when it comes to head injury potential.

I understand climbing is dangerous. I understand it can be made "safer" by the use of PPE and qualified instruction.

When it comes down to it there are dozens of reasons to wear a helmet, and only one (somewhat valid) reason not to:

"I don't feel like it"

Offline frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2015, 02:49:13 PM »
Yes Trad, you totally nailed it. The only reason i don't always wear a helmet is because its geeky and un-cool. Also i'm stoopid...... there are no other reasons.

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2015, 03:08:57 PM »
Yes Trad, you totally nailed it. The only reason i don't always wear a helmet is because its geeky and un-cool. Also i'm stoopid...... there are no other reasons.

Seem like pretty good reasons to me.   :-\
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2015, 03:27:33 PM »
I started out wearing one, then stopped, not because they were geeky and uncool (I was fine with geeky and uncool) but because they were uncomfortable and a distraction.  That was in the 1970's.

As I posted earlier, I recently bought the new ugly orange petzel helmet, and you can forget that you have it on it is so light.   I've started wearing it some, but not all the time.  Still definitely not going to wear one on an overhanging sport climb, but I do see the sense of it in other situations

I'm surprised at the number of people who wear one while leading, but not while standing around at the base of the climb, since that seems like the most likely place to get hurt in the head.

I think it is fine to argue about it all we want, but I do get my hackles up when people try to mandate my behavior. 

And no, I don't wear a seatbelt all the time either.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 03:30:10 PM by eyebolter »

Offline DGoguen

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2015, 03:50:44 PM »
I'd also bet everything I own that if we could communicate with someone who died from an injury that could have been prevented by wearing a helmet that they would be pissed off at themselves for not wearing a lid.
Every person that got on a doomed Airplane would be pissed they didn't drive on that business trip as well.

I understand it can be made "safer" by the use of PPE and qualified instruction.
I do see your point.
But then again I played youth league hockey before helmets were required. Doesn't seem like such a good idea now. HaHa
Don't Climb

Travis_Dustin

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2015, 07:29:23 AM »
I took a rock right off the center of my helmet Saturday while at the belay ledge while my partner was rappelling down. It wasnt big and wouldnt have killed me but it was traveling fast and would have caused a nice gash probably needing a couple of stitches. I havent even looked at my helmet yet to see if there s any damage to it.

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2015, 04:54:19 PM »
I took a rock right off the center of my helmet Saturday while at the belay ledge while my partner was rappelling down. It wasnt big and wouldnt have killed me but it was traveling fast and would have caused a nice gash probably needing a couple of stitches. I havent even looked at my helmet yet to see if there s any damage to it.

Which belay ledge?

Offline sirclimbalot

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2015, 09:04:57 PM »
Al you started this????http://www.neclimbs.com/index.php?PageName=routes&RouteID=433

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2015, 01:02:02 AM »
Al you started this????http://www.neclimbs.com/index.php?PageName=routes&RouteID=433

Busted... I think that's the second time EVER that I've climbed without a helmet. I dropped mine and it fell all the way down to the big ledge above the North End and so I just followed George. I felt totally naked.
Al Hospers

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2015, 06:19:25 AM »
Back in the days of the joe brown helmets i would only wear it for ice. These days i feel nekid without one.

strandman

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2015, 08:45:13 AM »
The mere thought of all you guyed naked is just wrong...I'm heading out

Travis_Dustin

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2015, 10:55:11 AM »

Which belay ledge?

The ledge at the top of pitch one... kind of. I think actually it was at the anchors of a climb on the geriatric wall.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2015, 03:14:03 PM »
 ::)
Al Hospers

strandman

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2015, 06:07:08 PM »
I'll revisit-------------"cause you don't look cool ?  unless your a HOT chic