Author Topic: New AMC hut in Crawford Notch  (Read 7181 times)

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
New AMC hut in Crawford Notch
« on: July 21, 2015, 04:08:15 pm »
First the Highland Center, now this. I wish the AMC would go the fuck away! The notch is all ready a cluster and this will just make it worse. They seem to be able to get away with whatever they want. I hope people fight this!!!

http://www.nhstateparks.org/whats-happening/news-events/press-release-details.aspx?newsid=40193

http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/pdf/Sparkling-Cascade-New-Hut.pdf

http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/pdf/Crawford%20Notch%20AMC%20Hut%20Scoping%20Letter.pdf

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: New AMC hut in Crawford Notch
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 05:01:33 pm »
All that for what..$150  a night ?  It's bad enough with the existing shit

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 05:10:36 pm »
I used to be for them, but when they got rid of the warming room with free newspapers at Pinkham and replaced it with a clothes store I said WTF? 

This is how "free" enterprise works in the US.  Corporations get a free pass from the government (if not a check),  and everyone else can pound sand.    You think I might get in trouble if I tried to sell clothes at Pinkham Notch?

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 05:31:20 pm »
Your clothes ?? YES...AMC can have a retail operation, which is what they are,,,But you can't bivvie at the side or a FS road..that you paid a use fee for

Offline David_G48

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 06:19:58 pm »
Come on this is a positive step in the right direction. A nice lodge with room service, a massage along with a glass of Chateau Margaux vintage 1982. Another way to look at is a quote from Dog Day Afternoon with Al Pacino when he said "kiss me"....well I'll leave the rest up to you to research. So goes any assemblance of a wilderness feeling up in Crawford Notch.

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 06:59:15 pm »
I hope you all noted that this is still in the comment period. I will be commenting to them after I cool down.
That section of Crawford Notch has a lot of history for me and it is a place I don't want to see commericalized. The proposal they have is for a totally new site on a new trail. There is nothing back there now. Really sad that their idea of progress is to disturb more forest.
I have used the huts myself and they do have a place. I just don't see how this new one does anything except make them money and create problems.
On top of that the Ethan Pond trail has some or the worst errosion of any trail I have ever experianced. In some places the trail bed is 2' under the surrounding turf. Back in the late 80's they rerouted 3-4 miles to try to improve it and it did help some. The added traffic a new hut will bring will be a nightmare.
The closest 4000'er to the new hut will be Mount Willey. The last maybe 2 miles of the trail to the top of Mt Willey is circa 1980's wood stairs over basically a rock climb. They are a but funky now and in need of repair. Imagine what will happen with a hut near by. Maybe blasting to make the grade easier or to facilitate better stair carving?
Not good. >:(
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 07:38:09 pm »
ELM-- blasting sounds like a good idea....but not yet

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 09:09:08 pm »

ELM-- blasting sounds like a good idea....but not yet
;D
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 10:40:52 pm »
Your clothes ?? YES...AMC can have a retail operation, which is what they are,,,But you can't bivvie at the side or a FS road..that you paid a use fee for

A+++

Your bivy sack is trashing the environment. Got fined one perfect summer night for sleeping on Franconia ridge. No tent, fire or even a stove. just a sleeping bag and bivy sack on a slab of rock. Up after supper, down before breakfast. woke up at 3 am by a goon from the amc and a ranger. Fined for camping above treeline and got a lecture about the damage I was causing. Meanwhile down below you have the hut with the whole area trashed. I guess it's ok if you make enough money.

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 06:18:41 am »
3 am?  Good to know.  I used to bivi on top of Mt. Adams all the time back in the day.  I'd hike in near dark and hike out after a spectacular sunrise.  Sleeping pad on 100% rock so hard to see what damage I caused compared to Madison Hut.....

Offline kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 09:26:02 am »
There's never been ANY "joy" coming from Joy Street......

AMC is a "club" of mostly out-of-state wannabees that have chosen the White Mtn's as their personal playground.

BAN THE AMC!!!! 

I've been saying it for years. Yet still people (even on this site) continue to defend them.

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 11:04:29 am »
You'll get no defense of the AMC from me. Don't get me started about them not paying taxes because they're a non-profit. I ranted here a while back about this. In regards to the Highland Center - if they paid local property taxes on the value of the building and land it would be ALLOT of tax money. As it is they use PILOT - payment in lieu of taxes. Which was a paltry some - $10K at the most one year if I remember. And the local towns are still responsible for providing essential services.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:33:59 am by markvnh »

Offline JBro

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 01:23:02 pm »

A+++

Your bivy sack is trashing the environment. Got fined one perfect summer night for sleeping on Franconia ridge. No tent, fire or even a stove. just a sleeping bag and bivy sack on a slab of rock. Up after supper, down before breakfast. woke up at 3 am by a goon from the amc and a ranger. Fined for camping above treeline and got a lecture about the damage I was causing. Meanwhile down below you have the hut with the whole area trashed. I guess it's ok if you make enough money.

Couple years back I hiked a long traverse and thus started out from Lincoln Woods early. Was over Flume and up on the ridge before sunrise and was surprised by how many different small groups of people I came across bivying just off the trail. (On the trail in one case.)

Not that I cared -- just an anecdote.

PS - Faaaak the AMC!

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 06:02:00 pm »
There's a lot about the AMC I like (and some I don't).

I do question why they would need a new hut so close to the existing Highland Center.

Offline kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 07:31:10 pm »
The reason is quite simple. Follow the $$$.