Author Topic: standard route at white horse  (Read 15004 times)

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
Re: standard route at white horse
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2015, 11:51:42 PM »
What about scrubbing moss & lichen to open up climbs LL? Is that ethically OK? You would be happy to know Gypsie's last pitch was recently cleaned. Looks awesome.

http://conservationmagazine.org/2008/07/rock-climbing-harms-cliff-ecosystems/

I think that the article do not consider that any animal, the human, have an impact on his ecosystem. Human need outside  activites and climbing is one of them. In some places, like rumney, it is possible to construct a micro habitat for sport climber. In some other places, leave no trace is the best. At cathedral, there was a lot of visitor coming to see the climber and to touch the rock. As they go to cathedral lot of them didn't destroy other more fragil habitat to find a point of interest. I think that cathedral is a transition places between citizen  and those who want activities in forest. For that reason, the activity most stay like what we found at pinacle ridge, but with ethic to protect the environment.

I am for the protection of the three and diversity in the cliff as it is part of the beauty of climbing...

In other way, I am for management of the land. cutting the branches of the tree in a way that people can see the cliff and the climber could be a very good idea to protect the environment   

+1
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2015, 06:21:03 AM »
I am all about scrubbing lichen but not  peeling away copius ammounts of thick green moss. that thick green moss is there for a reason. It means its usually wet there. that thick green moss is also pretty cool looking. If I see a slabb covered in thick green moss I simply don't even consider turning it into a summer rock climb.

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2015, 08:53:18 PM »
If I see a slabb covered in thick green moss I simply don't even consider turning it into a summer rock climb.

I'm guessing here, but I bet the North End of Cathedral was once covered in thick green moss. This is from a week or two ago, just to the right of Recluse.

I'm sure think green moss would reclaim many a popular climbing area given the chance.

Offline DGoguen

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2015, 09:48:54 PM »

Wow that's a beautiful photo Dave.
Looks like a "Yes" album cover minus the  mushrooms and goblins of course.
Makes me want to hit it with white gas and a wire brush. HA
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:51:02 PM by DGoguen »
Don't Climb

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2015, 10:35:21 PM »
my point exactly.  8)