Author Topic: Climbing was A Team sport now it's often a ME sport.  (Read 4923 times)

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
Re: Climbing was A Team sport now it's often a ME sport.
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 02:07:37 PM »
Your confusing yo yo and sport climbing...and how is rope toss/tyrolean the same ??? When Robbins left out warren harding on half dome..harding responded "fuck royal, I'm doing the Nose" sounds like competition to me

It has to be your way to enjoy a climb ?  your onsite bull   I buddy of mine free climbed the Salathe Wall..he and his partner yo-yo'd. top roped and took 2 months..trust me, they enjoyed themselves quite a bit

As usual LL is Clueless. No competition? He needs to watch "Valley Uprising"! Robbins, Harding, even Lynn Hill with "It goes free boys!" Even in NH there has been crazy competition at times, especially in the earlier years when there were so many things to free.

strandman

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 02:35:01 PM »
Very true..it was at times outright lies about "projects"  Oh that will never go free..of course we all have matured since then 8)

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 04:46:01 PM »
"Aged", John, like good wine, good cheese, and single malt, but many of us have hardly "matured". We're just a bit more subtle, sometimes ;D

SA

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 05:32:58 PM »
A story about competition:

Joe Cote brought me out to the Crack in the Woods, which he was raving about. Joe was really excited about this crack, and rightfully so.
Anyway, I started to lead it on nuts, and after fiddleing around and getting pumped out, ( I never was in great shape), I made it to where the crack goes straight after the turn left, but I was too tired to continue.
I left the nuts in, and planned to come back and finish it, but Jimmy Dunn heard about it, within a day, and came in and got the 1st ascent, ( using my pro.).
I always regret not getting the 1st ascent of that crack.

There is a photo of Jimmy leading it, on the 1st ascent, in one of Webster's early guidebooks, clipped into my large threaded nuts. Trust me- it's easier with cams.

Yes, that is competition.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 05:36:23 PM by SA »

strandman

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 05:42:39 PM »
This was before Jimmie got bit in the ass by a beaver i think ?   Dangerous out in the woods

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 05:50:28 PM »
This was before Jimmie got bit in the ass by a beaver i think ?   Dangerous out in the woods

Did he get bit in the ass by a Beaver John or did he bite a bad Beaver? ;D

strandman

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 06:12:50 PM »
never trust a....

it was pretty funny seeing Jimmie worried about rabies !

Speaking of competition,,,,, we were told a million times" that's been done by henry,,,etc"  RIGHT.

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 01:18:46 AM »
I always regret not getting the 1st ascent of that crack.

I wonder why you regret not getting the first ascent of that crack? because it is beautiful or because having the first ascent gave you some thing more?

And if some one did the first ascent before and didn't told any body, just bring the people to the crack. Jim won't have the first ascent and...and what?

the beauty is the crack and if I try to do it in could style, onsight it, it would be a first ascent for me. 

strandman

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 08:52:54 AM »
No LL..it's because all first ascent people are ego tripping, awesome climbers who only want glory   8)It's all about competition isn't it ?

You don't know because you haven't done an f/a...right?

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 08:35:15 PM »
... I try to do it in could style, onsight it, it would be a first ascent for me.

The very important difference here is;

1) Onsight: I know it's been done but I don't know if I can do it

2) First Ascent: I don't know if this is even possible

Big difference in the mental aspect if you ask me.

Offline The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 08:42:40 PM »
I regret not getting ANY ascent of that crack...thing kicked my ass !
Tom Stryker

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 06:22:13 AM »
It's all about the glory and the babes 8)

strandman

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 09:54:50 AM »
You know it man....

Hey LL why don't you ask SA why he wanted to do Mordor ? or Intimidation ? or the Book or??????

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2015, 09:44:38 AM »
You know it man....

Hey LL why don't you ask SA why he wanted to do Mordor ? or Intimidation ? or the Book or??????

SA said that he wanted to get the first ascent...the question was interesting because it show what is the interest of climbing. If you read the answer of the other tom cat...we understand that it is more than to say to every body I made it. Often a first ascent is done because you are the first to try it. A lot of them are not claim by the climber because it is too easy for the guy who climb. I imagine that if I open a 5.6 route, as I climb 5.10...it is not very important.

I like the passion. sport climber who try a very hard route many times and finally got it or for trad climber who train on other routes, keeping there challenge for the good times (when they will be able to do the insight) are the same passion. I am of the second category...but I admit that sport climbing is very interesting.

What I don't like is when people try route with technique of trad with sport style and are injure because they make mistake by ignorance of the danger. Some people think that it is easy to place a good cam and never fall on it except the day of the accident while the trad climber will work out on two or three hundred protection, weight them to see how they move and make complex setting before trusting it in real life. I want that people climb safe in sport, as they are rules to be safe even on bolt, and in trad. 

strandman

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2015, 05:21:22 PM »
Wrong answer..try again