Author Topic: Boot Fitter for AT/Climbing Boots  (Read 537 times)

lothianhimself

Boot Fitter for AT/Climbing Boots
« on: October 15, 2015, 08:48:20 AM »
I'm in the market for a pair of AT boots I can (happily) climb ice in. Tried on TLT6, shell 28 felt too small, 29 too big. Want to visit a good boot fitter to help me into the right boots, and make post purchase modifications for best fit, but where would have a selection of AT boots in stock, and would know about climbing ice in ski boots? I'm in Albany NY, but at this point would be willing to travel for expertise.

-Lothian

Offline frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Boot Fitter for AT/Climbing Boots
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 10:13:09 AM »
Unless you normally have a hard time finding decent fitting footwear or you have crazy feet, i would try those 28's on again - also: you know there are half sizes too?
 Ski boots - even AT boots can be pretty tight, bordering on painful right out of the box. Once you wear them for a couple days the liners will start to compress and form to your feet. The last pair of tele boots I purchased, I never actually tried on until a friend dropped them off (long story). Anyhow i was convinced they were a half size or even a full size too small as i could barely get my feet into them... i was in a real panic.  I just wore them around the house a couple hours per night for a few nights and they opened up. The first ski day or two they were a little snug, but after that perfect.

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 09:35:42 PM »
Not AT or tele boots but had the same experience as Frik with regular ski boots. Got fitted by a great boot guy and I swore they were too small. He said "ski them a few days and they'll be perfect." The first few were uncomfortable and then one day - awesome! Couldn't believe it.

Offline Maxsuffering

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 10:26:25 PM »
The Mountaineer in Keene Valley. Talk to Drew or Kaz.