Author Topic: The North face founder......  (Read 711 times)

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
The North face founder......
« on: December 09, 2015, 06:13:04 am »
......dies while kayaking with Yvon Chouinard and friends.

http://www.outsideonline.com/2041301/north-face-co-founder-doug-tompkins-dead

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Re: The North face founder......
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 11:49:15 am »
Rip Doug-- a huge loss. Doug and Kristine's contribution to the outdoor life and the preservation of wild lands in Patagonia is unmatched by anyone. I feel privileged to have been one of the early New England ice climbers to participate in an ice clinic weekend in the Chapel Pond area of the Adirondacks led by Yvon Chouinard, Doug Tompkins, Dennis Henneck, Pete Carman and Jim McCarthy in January of 1969. Yvon et. al. had his prototype crampons and piolets and we learners didn't. It is an understatement to say that we were blown away by the possibilities we were shown, as we were taught French technique ice axe and crampon use, and climbed Chapel Pond slabs and later Chouinard Gully ( first climbed and named earlier that week) without cutting steps. It goes without saying that I was a convert and an early purchaser of the "new Chouinard gear" as soon as it hit the market.

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 01:13:00 pm »
Rip Doug-- a huge loss. Doug and Kristine's contribution to the outdoor life and the preservation of wild lands in Patagonia is unmatched by anyone. I feel privileged to have been one of the early New England ice climbers to participate in an ice clinic weekend in the Chapel Pond area of the Adirondacks led by Yvon Chouinard, Doug Tompkins, Dennis Henneck, Pete Carman and Jim McCarthy in January of 1969. Yvon et. al. had his prototype crampons and piolets and we learners didn't. It is an understatement to say that we were blown away by the possibilities we were shown, as we were taught French technique ice axe and crampon use, and climbed Chapel Pond slabs and later Chouinard Gully ( first climbed and named earlier that week) without cutting steps. It goes without saying that I was a convert and an early purchaser of the "new Chouinard gear" as soon as it hit the market.

I was amazed at how much land he bought with his own money just to preserve it.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Al Hospers

Offline kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 10:14:01 pm »
Well that sucks......

The article said 9 ft. waves. I used to have a offshore sized boat. I wouldn't go out in a 4-5 foot sea.
I looked on google maps to see the lake- it is at least 70 miles east to west. With the wind that the region is known for, all I can think of is the terror they all must've felt.

Godspeed Doug.