Author Topic: Edelrid ropes  (Read 748 times)

Offline Nick Grant

• NEClimbs Full Member
Edelrid ropes
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:15:49 PM »
I'm looking to buy a new rope.  My current rope (the newest one, and the one in the best shape) is a 10.1 Sterling Marathon.  I like everything about it.  I'd buy another in a millisecond, but I can get a 10.0 Edelrid Python for half the price.

I used to climb with Edelrid ropes back in the day, and I really liked the way they handled.  Back then, I preferred them to Mammut ropes and Edelweiss ropes, but, again, this was thirty years ago.  (I currently have a three-year-old  Mammut 9.8 Infinity rope which I love.)

Are Edelrid ropes still high-quality, long lasting, smooth handling (not too stiff) ropes?

Thanks guys.

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Re: Edelrid ropes
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 06:22:24 AM »
I like sterling for the buy local factor. they are good ropes and i have a bunch of them. I do however take advantage of sales that are too good to pass up.  my last closeout rope was  $118.00 Roca and it was a good rope. isa has a new edelrid or edelweis? that is a good rope and was dirt cheap. I use them up fast enough that it's not a big deal if it turns out to be a clunker. I will beat it up in a summer or less.  my ice ropes are a different story and i make certain that I have exactly what i want with them.

strandman

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 09:53:04 AM »
Edelrid of course used to be THE rope,,,but i think those days are gone.

Mammut all the way baby !  I can't see a better all around crag rope than the Galaxy..you can get a non dry for $130 on sales

There's something about the Sterling's handling that I just don't like

strandman

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 12:32:58 PM »
Backcountry has Galaxy for $120  shipped