Author Topic: cold is on its way  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Tim

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • Good thing its run-out, or i'd run out of gear!
Re: cold is on its way
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2004, 01:16:51 pm »
I feel like the "conditions" department of neclimbs!  But for what it's worth, myself and my roommate climbed Icemen Don't Eat Quiche, today!  It was fun.  I sent Al a photo, we'll see if he thinks its worth posting.  It was really fun.  Probably grade 3 M4.  I like the "Desperado" time of year.  Get it when you can folks!
We also climbed Pass the Quiche (M7) the findings of which I will try to post in a new subject.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2004, 05:45:06 pm »
looks like it was a fun time Tim. I was at Jockey Cap all day doing a Toprope Instructor course. we could see snowshowers up in Evans Notch pretty much all day. it was reasonable outside until about 2 and then it started getting pretty chilly. here's the picture.

Al

Al Hospers

DLottmann

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2004, 11:07:57 am »
Hiked up to Icemen today to check it out.  The parking lot at Pinkam felt like 40-50 degrees!  The ice was melting quickly so we decided not to destroy what was there TR'ing it.  Hopefully some of it hangs in there...

Offline Tim

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • Good thing its run-out, or i'd run out of gear!
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004, 02:26:08 pm »
Destroy it man!  It's not Dropline!
It'll come and go two more times this fall before it stays in for the season!

DLottmann

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 04:19:31 pm »
I wasn't insinuating anything about you climbing it the other day man.  It was colder then.  It was so poorly bonded it wouldn't have been much fun and would have most definitely come down.  I know it will probably go and come back but just in case it does hang in there all the better!  I like fat ice!

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2004, 01:06:44 pm »
Central was guided on Friday and Pinnacle was climbed. The Dike has gotten many ascents and Fafnir was done as well. someone has climbed (er... scratched their way up) the first pitch of Standard Route at Frankenstein.

lots of people are out there climbing stuff. the season is underway.

Al
Al Hospers

Offline CLemay

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2004, 05:06:45 am »
A friend and I climbed the 1st pitch of Standard yesterday after deciding not to climb the Black Dike, at least 3 parties up there at 7am, 1 already on the climb!! Despite being wet, it's building quite nicely and Standard should be in reasonable shape once we get consistant cold.  

Chris

Offline mshore

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2004, 05:18:57 am »
Ice!  Stop it you guys.  We froze are asses off on Saturday climbing Diedre/Budapest.  

Is ice climbing more fun when it's this cold?

I should get someone to show me how.

Offline dogboy

• NEClimbs God
  • What?
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2004, 06:06:09 am »
Headed up into Huntington Sunday 11/14 with a friend and my fiancee.  Odell's looked doable, but thin.  Pinnacle looked very scrappy.  Yale looked OK, but it was in the sun all day (temps in the 30s).  We did Central, which was mostly great packed snow.  The ice bulge was fat up to the top, and then a detached layer 1/2" thick with water underneath for about 10'.  Not too bad, especially since there was bomber gear just below...but not Grade 1.  A great day, though, although a bit windy (40-60mph) in the Garden.  Tuck's trail was treacherous on the way down...icy snow and ice interspersed with rocks.  The descent took twice as long as usual...
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2004, 07:03:17 am »
well we finally are getting some real snowfall. it actually feels like winter right now. it might be a good weekend up in the Ravines.

Al
Al Hospers

Offline mickymac1

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2004, 08:27:21 am »
well we finally are getting some real snowfall. it actually feels like winter right now. it might be a good weekend up in the Ravines.

Al

Of course!!! I'm on my way to friggin FLA tomorrow!!!  >:(

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2004, 09:58:31 am »
well I'll bet that no matter where you are going, there is a climbing gym there. and probably one that's better than anything we have up here too! at least that's something.

- Al
Al Hospers