Author Topic: Pop in My Ring Finger  (Read 2121 times)

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Re: Pop in My Ring Finger
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 07:19:05 am »
Happy it was not more serious. Now the hard part starts: letting it rest and heal.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 01:55:09 pm »
Now the hard part starts: letting it rest and heal.

++++++
Al Hospers

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 03:03:09 pm »
I popped a similar tendon on "Better Eat your Wheaties" in Hueco Tanks in the early 90's.  I did not stop climbing, but climbed easier open handed stuff until it started feeling stronger.  Came back and sent my hardest route ever that spring, so there is hope for you!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 07:16:27 am by eyebolter »

Offline mopowers

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 05:22:01 pm »
I have done this to both my middle fingers about a year apart. Never stopped climbing, I was a bum at the time and had nothing better to do.

The first one took almost a year to fully heal where it did not bother me. For several months I would tape it to my index finger to limit its mobility while climbing. The second time a physical therapist friend made me a brace that I would wear at night. The brace kept the finger in the closed position. It was uncomfortable but reduced the healing time to a few months.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 06:49:25 pm »
I popped a similar tendon on "Better Eat your Wheaties" in Hueco Tanks in the 80's.  I did not stop climbing, but climbed easier open handed stuff until it started feeling stronger.  Came back and sent my hardest route ever that spring, so there is hope for you!

Must have been slim pickins' for open handing at Hueco !  V2 is a crimperfest there

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 07:18:31 am »
I actually did my first V8 ever, "The Long Haul" with the injured tendon.  It was an open hand problem.  I must have been young or something.. edit it was actually the early 90's.

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 12:21:14 pm »
I popped a similar tendon on "Better Eat your Wheaties" in Hueco Tanks in the early 90's.  ..
Probably because you took too many tries on it, Ward  :P ;)
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait

Offline alwoodsmithy

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 03:57:15 pm »
+1 on letting it heal. Friends keep poking fun at me that I won't be able to last a month. I definitely need to keep off it for at least that long - really looking forward to rock season and can't injure it again... Still can't really put much weight on it. I was getting out of the car on Saturday night and pulled on the top of the car with my hand to help get myself out. It twinged with pain as I pulled on the top of the car so it was a friendly reminder that I am nowhere near healed enough to think about climbing yet.

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 08:37:13 pm »
If I were you I'de just splint it for a solid month. It's stupid little everyday movements that will set you back.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2016, 10:04:12 pm »
If I were you I'de just splint it for a solid month. It's stupid little everyday movements that will set you back.

absolutely !!!!!

I severely sprained my left pointer finger a year ago, and it took months to heal. I was always tweaking it just doing little things around the house until I started wearing a splint - even at night.

I actually got this paraffin bath thing that really helped it heal. there is something about the deep heat of paraffin that really helps things get better.
Al Hospers