Author Topic: Cannon - 3 routes in a day?  (Read 4086 times)

Offline AlpineIceRock

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Cannon - 3 routes in a day?
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2017, 02:28:08 PM »
I think when considering doing Cannon 2x, 3x etc. in day, one should consider walking off mandatory. I would even go as far to say walking down to the parking lot after each route and starting from there gives you the true Cannon experience.

If you can agree that part of the Cannon experience is having to walk 30-45 minutes to the base of a climb and then walk back down to your car, making it more alpine than say Cathedral (obviously) or Whitehorse, which is basically multi-pitch cragging, then doing Cannon 2-3x in a day should involve lots of walking.

Thoughts?

Offline kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2017, 06:55:12 PM »
My thought is although you think it's mandatory, sure seems like a waste of time and energy when you could be climbing. You wanna go hiking? Go hiking.

Offline dave095790

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2017, 07:24:19 PM »
I also think going to the parking lot is not even a real analogy to climbing in the bigger ranges, where you can do your approach and descent in the pre-dawn and after sunset hours. 

Granted the approach and descent may be technical, but that is taken into account for your overall objective - simply hiking around is not the same as moving pitch-after-pitch in technical terrain.   

Offline JBro

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2017, 08:04:01 PM »
No need to go all the way to the parking lot when there are nice cool caves to stash your beers only part way down the talus slope.

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline AlpineIceRock

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2017, 12:08:38 AM »
I understand you don't *need* to go to the parking lot - thats not the argument. Also, climbing Cannon 3x in a day has nothing to do with climbing in the bigger ranges. If I wanted to go climbing for the sake of climbing and do no hiking, why not just go to Rumney or Cathedral? Part of the challenge of climbing Cannon is all the factors involved - one of which is having to hike up and down the talus and trails to and from the parking lot.

I'm just saying, if you want the true cannon experience and to be able to say "I climbed Cannon 3x in a day", I think having to walk the talus 3 times is fair. I'll admit it's pretty nuanced but you don't get to start climbing Cannon on your first climb of the day from most of the way/halfway etc. up the talus field or a short scamper across the base of the cliff, you have to start from the parking lot. You don't do it because it's easy, you do it because it's hard. Also, climbing 4-5 pitches of an 8 pitch route and rapping doesnt count as climbing Cannon. Not sure how it ever could. It wasn't like you didn't go to the summit, you didn't even get to the top of the route. Who cares if it's easier technical climbing above.

I appreciate your input. It's all arbitrary anyways but I think some have more validity in claiming multiple ascents in a day versus others.

Offline frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2017, 12:34:53 PM »
Perhaps you can post a note inside the sign-in box as to what counts and doesn't count as "climbing Cannon" and what folks need to do in order to have the "true cannon experience"....

At one point the "true cannon experience" often involved; bottle rockets, hangovers, & trundling...... but what did we know?
Like Like x 2 View List

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2017, 02:54:31 PM »
At one point the "true cannon experience" often involved; bottle rockets, hangovers, & trundling...... but what did we know?

LOL...
Al Hospers

Offline The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2017, 03:13:07 PM »
Climb Moby Grape, downclimb Lakeview, climb Whitney-Gilman.
Tom Stryker

Offline JBro

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2017, 06:14:08 PM »

It doesn't any more?
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2017, 10:40:54 PM »
Climb Moby Grape, downclimb Lakeview, climb Whitney-Gilman.
+++1

I've soloed WG- considered MG..... down climb Lakeview? Now there's a Cannon day.

To hell with scree pounding.

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2017, 10:15:12 AM »
I think for it to be a "true Cannon ascent" one must hit the geographic summit of Cannon. It's only .6 miles and 850 feet higher. Then instead of returning to the parking lot you should return to the true starting point of any Cannon climb, sea level. York, ME is probably your closest sea level which is a quick 150 mile round trip jaunt. Anything less is definitely not a "true Cannon experience".

Joking aside the cool thing about setting goals like this is you define what constitutes success... if you feel like you didn't really climb Cannon three times because you didn't return to an arbitrary parking lot (does it have to be the climber lot? Lafayette Place is easier IMO), then you can hit the parking lot. If rapping and getting more technical climbing in faster is your thing so be it.

Whose got the bumper sticker "No one cares you place tricams"? Saw that at Whitehorse a couple weeks ago and LOL'd.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:18:53 AM by NEAlpineStart »

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2017, 06:54:38 PM »
I'm getting a sticker made that reads " No one cares you don't like tri-cams" ;D
Funny Funny x 1 View List