Author Topic: Accident at Humphrey's 5/29/2016  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Starman

• NEClimbs Newbie
Accident at Humphrey's 5/29/2016
« on: May 31, 2016, 07:03:22 PM »
Hey folks,

Does anyone have any info on the climbing accident on Humphrey's this past Sunday? Just read about it in the online rags...

Thanks -- Steve

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
Re: Accident at Humphrey's 5/29/2016
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 08:19:31 PM »
Just read about it in the online rags...

link?

Offline David_G48

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 08:48:03 AM »
It happened around 11:45 AM Sunday, May 29th. He had just lead Lost & Found 5.10 B/C and headed up Retread 5.7 to the bottom of Sting Like a Butterfly rated incorrectly as 5.9+ (George who put it up thought it to be 5.10B). He climbed up through the steep beginning placing 1 black tricam and clipping 4 bolts then pulled the crux. He went up about 10 feet and 5 feet right placing a purple Totem (size of .5 Camalot). The placement was about 2/3 closed and was placed up from underneath into a fissure. He then climbed up and left about 6 feet when a bowling size piece of rock let loose that he was doing a side pull on. The rock had no visible cracks that would have indicated that it would break off but, it did. As he fell the Totem cam held long enough to pull him back toward the cliff which caused him to hit a 4" ledge full force with his left femur which broke in half. He was lowered to a flat surface on the rock just above the 1st pitch anchor of Cake Walk. The belayer escaped the belay went to the injured leader and called out to to a near by climber Den to get a rescue. Den and his party (2 wonderful women) called in for the rescue and within 20 minutes Den had brought up an EMT (Josh) to assist, within 1 hour the Mountain Rescue team appeared Conrad, Brian, Joe L and a woman whose name eludes me at this minute(I think Alexa). Sam was also up there setting the second belay. They set a tension splint on his leg lowering him in a litter to many people who were waiting below. In less than 4 hours he was at Memorial Hospital where he underwent surgery to have a titanium rod inserted down through the middle of his femur. A full recovery is expected. All the people involved in the rescue were above and beyond any compliments that one could bestow upon them. The hospital staff were professional and courteous. The cam itself had a broken trigger wire along with a severe bend in the cable. The lobes of the cam showed deformation where they were in contact with the rock. I hope that this is enough information, if not ask and I will try and respond.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:29:25 PM by David_G48 »

Offline xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 10:05:19 AM »
Wishing a speedy recovery to the climber! Bummer!
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 10:53:40 AM »
David: Thanks for the cogent and precise report. Thinking of you!

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 11:49:27 AM »
Thanks for the report David. Wishing a speedy recovery to the climber.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 01:16:50 PM »
David - I am so very to hear this. That is really a drag. I hope that your partner recovers fully. It's good to hear that there was a good response to the call out.
Al Hospers

Offline perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 05:31:23 PM »
Thanks for the detail, David, and good job to all those getting the climber out safely.  Good work from whomever remembered to do a tension splint.

Healing vibes to the leader.
Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 10:06:33 AM »
So grateful he is going to be ok. Looks like the two of you will have some recovery time ahead of you. Great job keeping a level head and getting him the help he needed. That is a stout and scary route. Here's to a full and speedy recovery!  ;)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 11:45:40 AM by old_school »
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 09:03:10 PM »
Den had brought up an EMT (Josh)
I believe Josh is the brother of one of our forum members....

Glad to hear a full recovery is expected!