Author Topic: Trigger Finger?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
Trigger Finger?
« on: June 08, 2016, 09:02:59 pm »
I think that's what I experienced today. First day of harder climbing I've had in awhile and on pitch 12 my right hand felt weird. I looked down and my middle finger was fully closed in the palm of my hand and could not be straightened by mental command alone. Didn't hurt, but was not comfortable. Straightened it out on the rock and wasn't sure if I had dislocated something or just cramped. Feels fine now.

Have you gotten this before? Prevention tips?

Offline xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs God
Re: Trigger Finger?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 09:32:05 pm »
Only time I have had anything like that was when I was not hydrating enough. Did ya check yer fluids?
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 09:37:33 pm »
Only time I have had anything like that was when I was not hydrating enough. Did ya check yer fluids?

Ya pretty sure I was running low.

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 06:57:02 am »
Trigger finger usually hurts a fair amount. I'm with xcrag: you were running too dry.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Offline David_G48

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 07:38:14 am »
Interesting term "trigger" finger not index finger. Does this have any significant bearing on how Dave L looks at firearms and the right to own them????

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 09:07:02 am »
It can also be arthritis and affect the thumb as well...I get it maybe 5-6 times a year. Also very common in trade work,,esp electricians with the thumb

It also can get pretty painful

Offline DGoguen

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 11:26:17 am »
Could be Blogger finger
Don't Climb

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 03:20:40 pm »
Could be Blogger finger
I am still waiting for the link to the YouTube video of the twitching finger!  ;D
Ed Matt

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 04:52:19 pm »
LOL. Wouldn't be NEClimbs without some chiding.

My google searching led me here which pretty much nailed the experience:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/trigger-finger/basics/definition/con-20043819

I'm going with dehydration, and the fact I haven't been crimping on 5.9 face climbs in a couple years. I was really ready for some crack or slab after a few 5.9 pitches at the Hump.

If it happens again I'll be sure to bust out the iPhone and get some slo-mo/timelapse of the experience to share with you all :)

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 04:54:40 pm »
Interesting term "trigger" finger not index finger. Does this have any significant bearing on how Dave L looks at firearms and the right to own them????

Ha! Maybe you heard about a duel-sport trip down to Longstack? Fun day that was!

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 08:32:16 pm »
Lol...chiding is all good.
I love internet medical advise: keeps me in overtime weekly.
All chiding aside. Hydrating can be a pain. Dman has had the practice of pre hydration down for a bit. However as he ages...only him...that is less successful. Actively hydrating is always the best because it is a bitch to try to catch up. Hydration for what we are up to always should involve "salts". That can be gatoraid or actually add in sea salt (1 table spoon per liter) to your water. That will curtail most of the , twitching...cramping etc.
Ed Matt

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 08:45:06 pm »
Thanks Ed, I'll admit I don't hydrate like I should during the cooler weather days. During hot as hell days I down 100oz by noon but this time of year I come up short in the staying hydrated category. I have been digging the "Nuun" hydration tablets as of late and find the flavored stuff more appealing than plain ole' H20 first thing in the morning. I dislike the high sugar Gatorade drinks so I tend to go for the sugar free vitamin waters and sugar free Powerades when I don't have any Nuun around.

Bottom line is drink more fluids and hopefully I won't have this happen often. Also thinking I need to start putting my hang board into use again after a very long hiatus and maybe get a bit more cross training in.

Thanks all for the advice (and chiding). See you out there.

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 09:25:48 pm »
You get the premise. The nuun always tastes like alka-seltzer to me but if it works for you it's all good. Gatoraid is not the end-all for easy hydrating but it's really not too bad. I never by the bottles; the powder ends up being few calories less and you can easily make it diluted and it does not taste bad. For a real hot suffer-fest you need to do much much more. For that I do Hammer enduro-lytes tabs and their "fizz".
Ed Matt

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 07:14:45 am »
Interesting.... That happened to me about 5 years ago on a very hot summer when I was guiding Upper Refuse. Happened to my right hand just as I was pulling up to the little tree ledge after the ear. At first I thought I was having a stroke. It completely freaked me out. I had to pry my fingers open and it was awkward to belay the client up, even with a GriGri. I hadn't drunk very much all day because the client had spilled his water early on, and I gave him mine. Finishing the climb was, to say the least, entertaining. I downed a jug of Gatoraid at the car and 30 minutes later felt pretty normal. I think it was an electrolyte thing as much as water.

I asked a doctor friend about this a few days later and they said it's not uncommon when you get dehydrated and your electrolytes are depleted. I've become MUCH more aware about this ever since. What's funny is that this has never happened to me cycling, and I've been WAAY drier an hotter out on the road bike when I've run out of water. On time in the Pyrenees was really bad! I guess it's cumulative tho.
Al Hospers

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 07:17:28 am »
Regarding Gatorade and other sports drinks... I buy the powdered stuff from Hannafords and mix it myself, about half the pre made strength. I can't deal with the regular stuff, except in a pinch. Plus my stomach doesn't like it. Of course YMMV.
Al Hospers