Author Topic: $3-$5 for Forest passes  (Read 3255 times)

Offline ralbert20

• NEClimbs Senior Member

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
Re: $3-$5 for Forest passes
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 10:29:39 am »
I have NEVER paid the fee and NEVER will. The money does not stay in NH for use here, it just goes into the coffers of the USFS. I already give the government way to much of my money and many federal judges consider the fee an unconstitutional tax and refuse to enforce the fine for non-payment! You ever wonder why they give warnings in NH that say they have your plate number and if you don't pay you will get a $100 ticket for non-payment but they never give out an actual ticket?

I have used many of those warnings as a fire starter!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:33:08 am by DaveR »

Offline kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 11:43:56 am »
Thank you DaveR.

Pay to park on OUR (the peoples) land.

FUCK THAT

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 03:20:17 pm »
I don't think it's just for parking

"Ninety five percent of the revenue collected at recreation fee sites remains on the forest to operate, maintain and improve the facilities and recreation programs.

Fees are used to maintain day-use sites including trash pickup, septic pumping, painting, and cleaning and to address the backlog of deferred maintenance.

The money is also used to conduct patrols and maintain trails, shelters and campsites, and to assist visitors with information and education services such as Leave No Trace and hikeSafe."

So... I'm not trying to take a side here but is the feeling our tax dollars should be better earmarked to address these needs instead? I could be on board with that.

Offline Nick Grant

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 09:25:11 pm »
Is this White Mountain National Forest thread going to turn into a Trump rally or a survivalist/militia manifesto?

Offline pappy

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:31:29 am »
I have NEVER paid the fee and NEVER will. The money does not stay in NH for use here, it just goes into the coffers of the USFS. I already give the government way to much of my money and many federal judges consider the fee an unconstitutional tax and refuse to enforce the fine for non-payment! You ever wonder why they give warnings in NH that say they have your plate number and if you don't pay you will get a $100 ticket for non-payment but they never give out an actual ticket?

I have used many of those warnings as a fire starter!
I agree wholeheartedly, but would point out that a number of years ago ('01?) I did receive a $25 ticket at the Whitesides parking lot, and when I ignored it they were aggressive about pursuing the matter. Maybe I just didn't know to fight it.

If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

Offline rbirk

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 02:15:46 pm »
According to the reports 80-95% of the fees stay local, developing the infrastructure we all enjoy and use. Where do you think all the new maintenance cost at Rumney alone come from?

www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd513434.pdf

But then, some people wants to live in Trumpland and some do not.

Offline z.st.jules

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 05:02:43 pm »
How about an alternative where you can volunteer a few days a year and that opts you out of having to pay the fees...

Offline rbirk

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 05:06:56 pm »
How about an alternative where you can volunteer a few days a year and that opts you out of having to pay the fees...

I like that idea. Everyone volunteering should get a year pass.

Offline DGoguen

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 05:34:51 pm »
I have NEVER paid the fee and NEVER will. ...in NH that say they have your plate number and if you don't pay you will get a $100 ticket for non-payment but they never give out an actual ticket?

I agree my taxes should be enough but a couple of years ago I got a very real ticket for $100 at Sugarloaf and a very real summons.
I sent them a very real check.:D
I guess I wasn't up to going to court and looking like " My Cousin Vinny"

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 05:37:12 pm by DGoguen »
Don't Climb

Offline kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 10:34:00 pm »
NEVER park where there is signage. Just move up the road from the pay lot and get your wheels off the pavement. Then tell 'em to pound salt.

The land we are talking about belongs to us. NOT some goddamn gov't agency.

Did you ever think that the parking fee creates a job? Cause that's what it does. Government parking attendants.

Something is painfully wrong with this. 

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 10:34:37 pm »
These things from the time I was born many years ago until very recently were paid for in our taxes. Now they take OUR tax money and spend it on bullshit or give it away and then tell me I have to pay more to use the land that belongs to ME. Let's take all the US dollars that were just changed to foreign currencies and secretly shipped to Iran and use it HERE!

As far as Rumney goes, most of what you enjoy came from private citizens and NOT the government. That includes most of the original parking lot and the trails.

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 10:36:45 pm »
NEVER park where there is signage. Just move up the road from the pay lot and get your wheels off the pavement. Then tell 'em to pound salt.

The land we are talking about belongs to us. NOT some goddamn gov't agency.

Did you ever think that the parking fee creates a job? Cause that's what it does. Government parking attendants.

Something is painfully wrong with this.

A+++

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 10:37:47 pm »
I have NEVER paid the fee and NEVER will. ...in NH that say they have your plate number and if you don't pay you will get a $100 ticket for non-payment but they never give out an actual ticket?

I agree my taxes should be enough but a couple of years ago I got a very real ticket for $100 at Sugarloaf and a very real summons.
I sent them a very real check.:D
I guess I wasn't up to going to court and looking like " My Cousin Vinny"

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I now know my first ticket holder!

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 06:26:01 am »
I don't like the fees, but they surely have legitimized climbing at a place like Rumney. There is too much money being made for them to prohibit climbing now.

And I agree the land is ours in principal.  Just like I own my own house, lol, as long as I give the town eleven bucks and change every day of the year.  Stop paying your property taxes and you will find out who owns "your" house.....