Author Topic: $3-$5 for Forest passes  (Read 3049 times)

Offline Nick Grant

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: $3-$5 for Forest passes
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2016, 10:46:47 pm »
Ed, thanks for explaining why those steps to the New Wave were in limbo for so long.  Mystery solved.  And thank you, Chris, for completing the project.  (As a side note, Ed, do you really think that "The Little People" at Hinterlands is only a 10a?

Offline pappy

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2016, 07:02:08 pm »
Just as a side note, because I'm bored and want to stir up trouble, I climbed the ice at Rumney a good bit BITD ('83-'85), and it never occurred to us to climb the crappy looking rock. (As a side note, we also climbed ice at Farley, and that rock did look nice and we even did a good bit of stuff never recorded, because it never occurred to us that anyone would give a crap).
On reflection, I'm now happy that Rumney is a destination, especially after dealing with all the mindless gym trained idiots in the 'Daks. What the hell is going on, the crowds are nuts (not where I am, just looking at the miles of parked cars. Even Barkeater was a zoo this weekend). It's good to have a place (like Rumney) to concentrate these people, and then tax the shit out of them.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2016, 06:52:30 am »
If your looking at under dog or Armed and dangerous and you do not see a great rout perhaps you don't really have the eye for it ;)

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2016, 07:45:34 pm »
Agreed, the Waimea cliff has some of the crappiest rock ever, lol.  Nothing like that quality stone on the Whitney Gilman.

Offline glen

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2016, 11:59:49 am »

FACT: 400 million was changed from US currency to other currencies and then transferred to Iran. Obama admitted to the transfer, the only question is why it was done!

It was done because we owed them the money. Iran paid 400M for fighter jets.  The money was held in trust, and the arms deal was signed, but then the revolution happened.  The planes were never delivered and the U.S. has been sitting on the money ever since.  The U.S. owed Iran the 400M plus interest.  Iran had sought a much larger restitution in international court. 

Iran didn't demand ransom for release of hostages. They've been fighting in international court to get their money back for decades. The U.S. did use the money it owed as leverage settling negotiations with Iran.

Offline steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2016, 11:28:09 am »
I just pay the user fee and go climb and hike. I am just happy to be healthy enough to enjoy the place.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2016, 03:06:18 pm »
Agreed, the Waimea cliff has some of the crappiest rock ever, lol.  Nothing like that quality stone on the Whitney Gilman.

LOL...
Al Hospers

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2016, 06:20:45 pm »

LOL...

I remember you posted that you had never been there Al, you should at least hike up and look at it, then maybe do Junco and Lonesome Dove on the Jimmy Cliff above.  Waimea has the best rock in New Hampshire IMHO......

Offline CLemay

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2016, 05:39:01 pm »
Dave, where have you seen this out west? Curious...

A better question to ask is; How come they don't have this fee out west?

I have recently seen this out west also.

Offline rbirk

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2016, 06:15:57 pm »

All the places around Sedona for example. Very similar to the white mountains one.  It has been like that for some time:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5416207
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 06:25:28 pm by rbirk »

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2016, 05:50:41 am »

All the places around Sedona for example. Very similar to the white mountains one.  It has been like that for some time:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5416207

I have also seen this in the Sierras and assumed it was a national thing but based on your comment Chris it seems to be a local thing. When I think about it, I did not pay those fees in Colorado.

Offline frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2016, 10:17:08 am »
Been to the sierras, Colo, Wyoming in the last 10 years or so and never saw a fee area. Not saying they don't exist, i haven't seen one or heard of one until the link to the Cococino. I just think congress shafted the North east because -well why not; fuk libruls. That and the folks out west wouldn't have put up with it.

Offline rbirk

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2016, 10:31:53 am »
It's actually quite common out west. Here is for example another one that works like the white mountains (for Oregon/Washington):

http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/r6/passes-permits/recreation

And also, most national parks do charge it too. No difference there. I personally like getting the annual national pass which is valid at all national parks and forest services like white mountains and all the places out west that has the same system.

Offline rbirk

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2016, 01:12:19 pm »
Southern Californa is especially of interest to this thread. They also have a similar fee to the white mountains (and call it Adventure Pass):

http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/r5/passes-permits/recreation

But of interest is this recent court settlement:

http://www.keyt.com/news/adventure-pass-compromise-reached/40465932