Author Topic: North Bald Cap / October Sunday Tree Gone on 2nd to last Rap  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Classof64er

• NEClimbs Newbie
On 8/19/16, when I sat down on the base of this tree, while waiting for my partner to rap over the overhang, the rap tree used for the 2nd to last rap on October Sundae's rap line (and the general rap line for a couple of climbs) uprooted  and fell over. The roots were all rotted.  [If you've used this rap "anchor" in the past year or so, consider yourself lucky to be alive!)

Fortunately, I was not actually tied into the rap anchor, thus avoiding several hundred pounds of birch tree falling on me. The rap slings have been removed, lest someone grab them and send the tree down further.

There's a double bolt anchor about 25-30 ft to skier's/viewer's left, but you have to scramble 15-20 ft down the skier's left edge of the tree island, then scramble 15 ft up on the slab beyond to get to them.  Class 3 or so, but "X" if you slip un-roped. 
Or, I guess you could re-establish another tree anchor below the fallen birch...but I really don't know how stable it is ! 

Offline Smear

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: North Bald Cap / October Sunday Tree Gone on 2nd to last Rap
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 06:26:38 AM »
I and several friends have used this tree many times  :o
Every time I did I did not feel good about it and thus "walked" down the slab to avoid weighting it too much.
Last time I was up there(last year),I was eyeing a place for a "proper" rap anchor thinking that the tree was less than great.

That 2 bolt anchor to the right is just far enough off the rap line to make it almost impossible to get to (especially negotiating the overhang)  without some type of shenanigans (establish some type of anchor,short pitch to bolts,then rap).

Thanks for the update!

Offline rbirk

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 11:30:46 AM »
Attached is a pic of the fallen tree.

I rapped directly to the 2-bolt anchor yesterday. I thought it was a pretty straight forward rap over the overhang and straight to the bolts. When going down, aim for the middle of the overhang and you have a nice straight line. Make sure you have knots on your rope on this one as double 60s are just about enough to get you there with just a few feet spare.

Offline slacker

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 06:58:22 PM »
2 weeks ago my wife and I climbed there.  When I got to the tree it was apparent that it would be a serious life risk to use. I left 2 biners on the the anchor to the right to facilitate the rappel. I will place some ring anchors in line with the tree on my next trip up there.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 07:59:28 PM by slacker »

Offline ralbert20

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 09:34:13 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts on why so many trees are failing this year? Or, is it a correlation =/= causation thing? I feel like I have seen more completely uprooted trees than I remember - on the trails as well as the climbing areas. Is it just because it has been so dry?

Offline Classof64er

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 02:34:59 PM »
A lot seem to be birch trees, like this one, and maybe it was they all died in the last big ice storm (15-20 yrs ago?) and it just takes that long for the roots to rot out?

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 10:10:19 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts on why so many trees are failing this year? Or, is it a correlation =/= causation thing? I feel like I have seen more completely uprooted trees than I remember - on the trails as well as the climbing areas. Is it just because it has been so dry?

I saw a report on local news with an arborist who said that the drought is definitely having an effect on trees. in a report I read a couple of weeks ago when I was researching the drought a forestry expert was saying that they are seeing the same thing and attributed it to lack of rain.
Al Hospers

Offline mattyb

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 09:48:34 AM »
2 weeks ago my wife and I climbed there.  When I got to the tree it was apparent that it would be a serious life risk to use. I left 2 biners on the the anchor to the right to facilitate the rappel. I will place some ring anchors in line with the tree on my next trip up there.

On Sunday Kevin, Matt, and I traded the hangers for ring anchors.  ;-)

BTW, I found only one biner and the link (which I added a couple years ago). I had noticed the biners at that rap never lasted very long!  Haha!

Offline slacker

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 06:10:08 AM »
Thanks Guys!!! If nothing else the biners I left saved my rope from twisting up.  I always thought it would be interesting to see the traveling life of a leave it biner..... Where in New England is it now?