Author Topic: Thin air bees  (Read 745 times)

Offline Climber57r

• NEClimbs Full Member
Thin air bees
« on: August 27, 2016, 08:07:06 PM »
Well it has been an interesting season for myself and bees. I have got stung a lot in the last few weeks. That being said, I had a run in with some bees today on what would be the third pitch of Thin Air behind the start of the flake in route to the chimney. I hope that is helpful to someone.

But here is the deal. They were not aggressive considering I stuck a Tricam in there home. This is my 3rd run in with this type of wasp or Hornet that I have yet to get stung. One cloud a few years ago 30+ bees behind a flake. Anyone know bees? Black hornet/ wasp? These guys swarmed me really well. Enjoy.
Good times. Good climbs. Get out there, get after it, and most of all enjoy it.

"A not neat knot, is a knot not needed"

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
Re: Thin air bees
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 08:25:12 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. The face to the left of the flake climbs really well and I generally don't touch that crack until very close to the chimney. Might be to much beta for some but for those who are interested (especially if there is an active nest lower):

After the first pin you can skip the second pin to reduce rope drag (or clip it, not a big deal either way), and step back left over the darker water streak. The next pin is best threaded as it sits on an edge. Positive edges to the left and straight up lead right up to the chimney.

The current cover photo shows the water streak quite well, which must have been after recent rain as it's wet, and despite the caption the climber is coming into Thin Air from either Turner's Flake or Repulsion (Toe Crack), not the regular Thin Air line...

Offline Mr big hands

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 11:35:47 AM »
There is also a small hornet nest in the traverse pitch. About 20 feet off the belay. Marked with a tick mark above it.

Offline Ducayet

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 11:59:29 AM »
When first saw the topic title I thought it was going to be about the insidious UAV's (drones, quadcopter, whatever) that I have been noticing flying around Cathedral on the weekends. Three of the past four times I've climbed there I have been distracted by what sounds like a swarm of hornets circling around me while climbing or hanging out at the belay. I can't be the only person who finds this incredibly annoying, if not slightly dangerous - I've had a few come to hover with 30' of me while half way up the wall. That and I really don't appreciate the thought of having a photo/video taken without my consent. Okay, rant over.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 12:01:04 PM by Ducayet »

Offline powdergibbs

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 09:39:04 AM »
Having been hearing about the notorious amount of bees you can imagine my surprise on the traverse when I heard what sounded like a swarm. I got a good stance and hoped for the best...except I didnt see any bees. Sure enough-drone. While the videos look awesome-this is not the type of activity climbers need distraction from. Granted I was up there at a low traffic time, but try not to hover over my head unless you're going to send photos.

Offline pappy

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 11:19:18 PM »
When first saw the topic title I thought it was going to be about the insidious UAV's (drones, quadcopter, whatever) that I have been noticing flying around Cathedral on the weekends. Three of the past four times I've climbed there I have been distracted by what sounds like a swarm of hornets circling around me while climbing or hanging out at the belay. I can't be the only person who finds this incredibly annoying, if not slightly dangerous - I've had a few come to hover with 30' of me while half way up the wall. That and I really don't appreciate the thought of having a photo/video taken without my consent. Okay, rant over.

This would be incredibly intrusive even if it weren't potentially dangerous. Best not try this down South, as my redneck buddies (and me, for that matter) would take this as an invitation for some skeet shooting practice (And yes, a .45 is often considered a required piece on a trad climber's rack). Maybe a few thousand dollar toys corkscrewing into the ground would teach some manners.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

Offline frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 12:47:09 PM »
Ya nothin' teaches manners like rednecks shootin' guns.

Offline Ducayet

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 04:07:12 PM »
 I was sort of hoping the drone thing is a fad, like pogs and furbies, although those were never an issue at the crag I suppose...

All national parks have started to enact a complete ban on the use of drones. I might be salty enough to write a letter to NH Parks and Rec detailing potential safety issues to climbers, even though my main concern is that I just find them an annoying as heck.

Offline powdergibbs

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 01:46:49 PM »
I'll be the first to admit - the photography and videography that comes from them looks incredible, but knowing your location and being courteous is key. Theres already plenty of rules and regs for folks, so I get it that they want to enioy their hobby too. There was a group on P3 - so perhaps its was related to them, to somehow enhance their experience or help remember the day? It didnt take too much away, but did make me pucker up for a minute!

Offline HTH

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 06:31:43 PM »
Though I've climbed Thin Air within the last few weeks I did not encounter any bees.  Perhaps they are there, perhaps my wandering did not encroach.  That being said, I did encounter a drone operator at the base of the cliff and he showed no regard for me and others walking a mere 15 feet beneath his noise-maker.  Where is the NH State Parks on this issue???

Offline pappy

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 12:51:49 PM »
Ya nothin' teaches manners like rednecks shootin' guns.

It's actually pretty effective.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.