Author Topic: Popple Mt?  (Read 889 times)

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
Popple Mt?
« on: September 06, 2016, 01:37:26 PM »
Any regulars here familiar? Spent sometime today thrashing around the base looking for Aku Aku. Nothing fit the guidebook description. If you know this route/crag let's talk!

Offline mtbdude91

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Popple Mt?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 03:31:50 PM »
Funny, I was just up there this weekend. Aku Aku was easier to find from above, but seriously dirty.  The 5.4 ?? "jam crack" in the handren book was cool, but the best pitch seemed to be face that tops out to the right of said crack. It's called "walking man", I'd rename it to snakes on a plane, or something. Watch out. We climbed a few different pitches around. it seemed the less featured rock was more crumbly but I'd go back with a bigger brush. Get in touch if you'd like to check it out. I'd like to try where eagles dare.

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 08:21:45 PM »
I do want to get back out there! We found this crack on the right side and I'm curious if it was a recorded route. You had to boulder to the starting ledge, enough that rapping from the starting ledge made sense when we bailed. After a little 5.5ish move to gain the crack it was awesome jamming for about 30 feet then petered out to slab. The slab above looked climbable but un-protected so I bailed off a nut placement (which I quickly discovered was also a hornet nest). No stings but they were pissed. Does this look familiar?

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 08:25:01 PM »
Also I think I followed your tracks back down then... we opted to shorten the bushwhack using the Weetamoo Falls Trail... our route:

Offline mtbdude91

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 08:42:44 PM »
Yeah, similar story on that crack except the wasps were less friendly. It looked like there might be a spot for a route or two to climber's right  up the steeper part of the slabs. We ended up climbing the whole crack line after scoping things out from above. The top half was dirty, crumbly, but o.k climbing. Protectable until the last twenty feet or so. We started up the falls trail then crossed the branching stream to closely follow your route. I think the easiest directions would be to go straight up hill from the ol' rusty thing in the field by the Ellis.

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 09:11:23 PM »
That old rusty thing is a groomer for the Jackson ski touring area!