Author Topic: Dog at Cannon  (Read 585 times)

Offline ralbert20

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Dog at Cannon
« on: September 18, 2016, 10:44:21 am »
I know this topic is debated ad infinitum, however, why on earth would you bring your dog to Cannon? Do you want it to die? There was a nice black lab running all along the base of Cannon yesterday while the owner did Duet, then Raven crack. There was quite a bit of loose stuff coming down, including some truly big stuff from Ghost Wall. I have never seen Cannon so busy. Rocks coming down are dangerous enough for humans, with helmets, who understand, "ROCK!" but for a dog running around? Come on, how stupid can you be? Would you bring a toddler to the crag and leave it unattended while you climb 2-3 pitches? If a dog truly is a part of your family, then you should realize that dogs just do not belong at the cliff, especially not an alpine one. Go hiking or something else. /rant

Offline iceclimber22

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Dog at Cannon
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 11:08:57 am »
Cannon will be the next Rumney... just kidding but yea, I've never seen Cannon that busy. We arrived at the bottom of WG at 7:45, 20 minutes later there were 4 parties behind us waiting to rope up. Insanity.

That rock that came off the central wall of Cannon to left of MG yesterday was big! Pretty wild.

Offline ralbert20

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 12:13:24 pm »
We finished on W-G; started around 3:30 - no one in front, no one behind. It was great! ;)

Offline iceclimber22

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 12:19:44 pm »
That's the way to do it! Start real early or late. Forget the 9am start...

Offline grubbers

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 08:54:01 pm »
Dogs at a place like Rumney are one thing (I'm not crazy about it, but can deal if the dog is friendly and under control), but bringing one to Cannon is just straight up irresponsible. I'd imagine that it was someone who hadn't done much climbing there, as I'd hope anyone with more experience on that cliff would know better.

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 09:03:00 pm »
About 16 years ago I hiked most of the way up to Lakeview with my black lab and climbing partner thinking we could blitz up the route and return to the base to collect the dog. Half way up the talus I realized I was being an idiot and we went over to Echo Crag instead... sometimes you have a lapse in judgement.

As for "dogs don't belong at the cliff"... well I think that's a bit harsh. I like seeing well behaved dogs at cliffs. I especially love seeing well behaved dog owners but they are a bit more rare... #pickthatshitup