Author Topic: Spider bite  (Read 2823 times)

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
Spider bite
« on: September 28, 2016, 10:55:02 am »
Went climbing this past Sunday and got bit by a spider in a crack I had my hand jammed in. The only mark was a tiny dot on my wrist that looked like a Black fly bite. The result, 1 hour later pain from my fingertips to my elbow that was so bad I took an oxy left over from my bike crash last year and a hand and wrist so swollen I could not bend my wrist or fingers until this morning. The pain is still pretty bad and it is still hard to even hold a glass in my hand. It remains to be seen when I will climb again! The doc says I will just have to wait it out. >:( :P

Offline Further

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Spider bite
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 12:33:16 pm »
I would be curious to know what kind of spider it was.  Unfortunately, short of a treatable infection.... waiting it is.

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 01:08:26 pm »
I would be curious to know what kind of spider it was.  Unfortunately, short of a treatable infection.... waiting it is.

So would I because it packed one hell of a punch for something so tiny.

Offline perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 01:17:08 pm »
Mighta been worth it if you end up with superpowers.  Or Kirsten Dunst.

Dale

ETA: more seriously, would have thought pred and some diphenhydramine would have been indicated, barring obvious infection.
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

Offline rbirk

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 01:20:11 pm »

According to a search the only venomous spider in New England is the Northern Black Widow Spider.

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 01:38:35 pm »

According to a search the only venomous spider in New England is the Northern Black Widow Spider.

It is the only one considered poisonous but there are many that are very dangerous if you have a reaction to their venom. My Dr showed me some pretty nasty looking pictures of rotting fingers and toes from some local spider bites with a warning to keep a very close watch on the bite area itself and if it changed call him immediately.

Offline rbirk

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 02:01:03 pm »
It is the only one considered poisonous but there are many that are very dangerous if you have a reaction to their venom. My Dr showed me some pretty nasty looking pictures of rotting fingers and toes from some local spider bites with a warning to keep a very close watch on the bite area itself and if it changed call him immediately.

Good to know. So similar to an allergic reaction to a wasp.

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 02:39:56 pm »
DaveR--I had a very similar experience about 20 years ago in Bartlett, NH. I was enjoying family time sitting on our deck on a chaise lounge that I had just brought up from the storage shed. I felt a sharp jab on the left elbow, looked around, and saw no cause, but had a small red mark where I'd felt the jab. Two hours later we were in a nice restaurant with my parents, wife and daughter when stabbing pains started in my elbow to the point where I couldn't finish my meal-- it was red and very swollen and throbbed worse than any other pain I've had in my somewhat accident prone sporting and climbing career. My parents took our daughter home and my wife drove me to the N. Conway ER. I was admitted, treated for pain and infection and spent 4 days/nights in a hospital bed. The heat from the swollen elbow could be felt from 6 inches away. When I was released, I had an IV port in my wrist and returned to the hospital for continued IV meds daily for at least another week. The only suspected cause was a spider bite of some type, although we never saw it. For a number of years thereafter, the skin on that elbow died and peeled off regularly. Beware of small arachnids!!

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 02:55:16 pm »
Jeff-The pain level was crazy and although the swelling is going down it still burns to move my fingers or wrist or to try and hold anything.

Offline slacker

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 06:02:08 pm »
There is also the Brown Recluse spider in the area.  My wife had a bite last year while she was working in the gardens.  It sounds very similar to what you are describing.  After taking very strong antibiotics, the area bit remained "sore" to say the least, for quite some time. At one point the doctor said that they might want to cut it open and pack the wound! Thankfully that never happened.

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 09:59:45 pm »
Most spiders around here do not pack much of a bite. You'll have a local reaction that is uncomfortable but it's normally gone in 24-36 hours. Spiders like the brown recluse are not native here. They still show up occasionally as hitch hikers in cargo etc. If you get unlucky and it was a non local spider or if you get a infection then all bets are off. Pay attention to it and if it does not start to improve go see another doc or go to the ER.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 06:44:40 pm »
DaveR-- yes, the pain level was crazy-- I was at a table in a fine restaurant when it hit and I started writhing, twitching and trying to stifle moans-- my folks and daughter finished their desserts while my wife drove me to the ER-- I didn't dare drive myself--- worst pain I've had, and I've been through a number of broken bones, an ACL repair and 2 hip replacement surgeries plus rehab form all the above. Nasty bugger.

Re: Brown Recluse bites-- an ambulance crew chief I used to work with got one high on the inside of his thigh  (in Connecticut--probably hitch hiked on a load of fruit or some such from the south)-- it became necrotic and left him with an ugly hole more than an inch deep and bigger than a silver dollar (old measuring unit ;D); a medic in the hospital who had worked in the South West finally identified what caused it, having seen the same thing before!

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 09:30:30 pm »
Thanks for the upcoming nightmares I am sure to have because of this thread. I effin' HATE spiders. When I was in the Marines we did some jungle warfare training in Okinawa and I remember the pleasure of walking through the jungle at night with "light discipline" i.e. blind as a bat and walking through multiple large webs. One platoon mate received a bite on his trachea, suspected banana spider, and was laid up for over a week. Locally I think I smashed a large brown recluse on Hotter Than Hell years ago. When I climbed the route again a week later the crushed arachnid was still there. In the Gunks I think my dog got bit by a Black Widow... his hind quarters were paralyzed for about 36 hours... no other guesses what could have caused it (he was digging in the leaf litter in the little underhangs at the base of the cliff to stay cool... probably prime Black Widow territory.

DaveR... hope you get better soon.

Why am I so itchy right now...

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 07:07:16 am »
Many people confuse a wolf spider with a brown recluse. They are impressive looking but harmless. Here's a map of the habitat of the brown recluse: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Loxosceles_reclusa_range.png
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Offline David_G48

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 09:10:57 am »