Author Topic: Cho-oyu  (Read 649 times)

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
Cho-oyu
« on: October 02, 2016, 10:55:41 AM »
https://gearjunkie.com/cho-oyu-adrian-ballinger-emily-harrington

Amazing, I can remember belaying her at several nationals when she was a little girl.

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
Re: Cho-oyu
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 11:47:17 AM »
Wow!

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 08:32:35 PM »
while impressive in some ways, it's not so much in others. reading the article it seems that their company had established a base camp and fixed ropes in advance, they had been sleeping in low pressure domes at home so that they were acclimated in advance, and when they got a call that the weather was going to be great they booked an immediate flight over. this is not by any means something that normal climbers could manage.
Al Hospers

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 08:58:48 PM »
I have no idea what a pressure tent like they used must cost but I wonder how it stacks up to a month+ out of country acclimatizing... I'm not sure what "normal" climbers are... but this might be a way to be more efficient and save money in some ways (and pick the best weather window)... sounds smart to me.

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 07:02:55 AM »
while impressive in some ways, it's not so much in others. reading the article it seems that their company had established a base camp and fixed ropes in advance, they had been sleeping in low pressure domes at home so that they were acclimated in advance, and when they got a call that the weather was going to be great they booked an immediate flight over. this is not by any means something that normal climbers could manage.

Where you acclimatize is really irrelevent, they still made the push in 10 days without supplamental o's and that is crazy fast.

Since when could any "normal climber" climb an 8000 M peak under any conditions without bottled oxygen. I have a number of friends that have been on the top of Everest, only 3 have actually climbed it IMO. The others just borrowed enough money from friends and family to pay guides to haul their ass up. That is not climbing IMO.