Author Topic: Buying a house sucks  (Read 1530 times)

Offline z.st.jules

• NEClimbs Full Member
Buying a house sucks
« on: October 11, 2016, 06:06:01 pm »
Title says it all.
This is not fun. So stressed.

Nemesis

Re: Buying a house sucks
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 06:18:03 pm »
paying the mortgage sucks more ;D

Offline ralbert20

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 08:28:33 pm »
Depends on the reason for buying the house. I thought it was pretty fun for North Conway. Boston... yeah, not so much.

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 09:39:03 pm »
...all the paperwork and legal crap is stressful. Once you buy it it's better than paying rent money into a black hole and having no equity. Best thing I ever did was buy my place when I was 27! Good luck Zac!

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 05:39:07 am »

How about paying your mortgage off, and still having to give the town 11 bucks and change every night to sleep in "your" house?

Offline neiceclimber

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 08:06:47 am »
The process is a pain, haggling over the price, haggling over the inspection, haggling with the wife over a new roof or an updated kitchen.

How about paying your mortgage off, and still having to give the town 11 bucks and change every night to sleep in "your" house?

Yes, it totally sucks having to pay 11 bucks so you can sleep at night knowing the fire dept, police dept, and public works dept are all at your call should you need them. It also sucks having to pay 11 bucks a day knowing that some portion of that money is going towards a quality education for my children. It also sucks that 11 dollars is far cheaper than the 80 dollars (2 kids) for daycare, and far cheaper than private school. Also, 11 bucks is cheap, we pay closer to 30 a day and we do not live in some McMansion, just a regular old 3 bedroom on a double lot in town.

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 03:21:20 pm »
The process is a pain, haggling over the price, haggling over the inspection, haggling with the wife over a new roof or an updated kitchen.

Yes, it totally sucks having to pay 11 bucks so you can sleep at night knowing the fire dept, police dept, and public works dept are all at your call should you need them. It also sucks having to pay 11 bucks a day knowing that some portion of that money is going towards a quality education for my children. It also sucks that 11 dollars is far cheaper than the 80 dollars (2 kids) for daycare, and far cheaper than private school. Also, 11 bucks is cheap, we pay closer to 30 a day and we do not live in some McMansion, just a regular old 3 bedroom on a double lot in town.

I was being a bit of a wise ass, but as for being able to sleep at night, when every second counts the police are only a half hour away (my neighbor called them one night a  few years ago due to an intruder, yes 30+ minutes).   

And if you really want to get mad at the mortgage, google "fractional reserve banking."  The bank does not lend out a penny; the money is created out of thin air by the act of borrowing.  So, you then get to pay the bank back the money they didn't have, plus interest.  Quite a bit of my $11 bucks a night is going to pay "back" money the town "borrowed" as well. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 03:25:20 pm by eyebolter »

Offline perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 07:29:16 pm »
Dammit, saw the libertarian rant/debate coming from eyebolter's first post and didn't call it.

Anyway, 'live free or die'!!
Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

Offline kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 07:48:21 pm »

I was being a bit of a wise ass, but as for being able to sleep at night, when every second counts the police are only a half hour away (my neighbor called them one night a  few years ago due to an intruder, yes 30+ minutes).   

And if you really want to get mad at the mortgage, google "fractional reserve banking."  The bank does not lend out a penny; the money is created out of thin air by the act of borrowing.  So, you then get to pay the bank back the money they didn't have, plus interest.  Quite a bit of my $11 bucks a night is going to pay "back" money the town "borrowed" as well.

Get mad at a mortgage? A show of hands as to how many here understand what the Federal Reserve is/does? The process you are describing is how the "worth" of the USA is figured. You want to add value to our country? No problem- the bank you're "borrowing" from gets it's cash to "loan" to you comes from newly minted bills. Then you pay back the banks interest on the "new" money that was added to circulation due to the new "value" that you have created. And who ultimately benefits and controls the entire process? Yhep- the PRIVATELY run Federal Reserve.   

Nemesis

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 01:23:51 am »
I could give two shits about the fed and fractional reserve banking.  I wanted the house, so I borrowed the money.  Now I'm pissed that working, to pay the money back, cuts into my family, music, and climbing time.  Cmon man, what's more American than that?

You guys should start a movement.  Stop using the banks altogether.  Turn all those notes into gold bars and bury them behind the house or just get a six shooter and a neat little satchel to carry it with you.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 01:35:15 am by Nemesis »

Offline kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 08:43:34 pm »
The only point I was making Nemesis is that for guys like me and you- it's a rigged game.

Regardless you're point is well taken- eff 'em. Live your life, find balance, and most importantly be content.

Nemesis

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 06:49:08 pm »
I'll drink to that ;D