Author Topic: Cog Railway proposes 35-room hotel below summit of Mount Washington - See more a  (Read 2766 times)

Offline neiceclimber

• NEClimbs God

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
Re: OMG, a new hotel on Washington
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 08:29:05 am »
We can not let this happen! Huge areas of that mountain are a big dump as it is. People get there panties all in a bunch over a bolt they don't like, lets put that rage into stopping this shit. >:(

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
http://www.unionleader.com/business/cog-proposes-35-room-hotel-below-summit-of-mount-washington-20161201

Please consider signing this petition and passing it around. I agree that this hotel will irreparably damage a fragile mountain environment, impact the surrounding ecosystem, and impair aesthetics. I am going to do everything I can to to prevent this from moving forward.

https://www.change.org/p/john-scarinza-chair-coos-county-planning-board-derail-cog-railway-hotel-proposal?recruiter=359571140
Al Hospers

Offline Jeremy Cote

• NEClimbs Newbie
The proposal is slated for a "pre-application" review under New Business at the December 8th meeting.

http://www.cooscountynh.us/sites/coosconh/files/agenda/agenda-file/dec_8_agenda.pdf

Coos County Planning Board

John Scarinza, Chair
375 Randolph Hill Rd.
Randolph, NH 03593
johnscarinza@ne.rr.com
Term Expires June 2018
603-466-5775

Fred King, Vice Chair
PO Box 146
Colebrook, NH 03576
fbking1@myfairpoint.net
Term Expires June 2019
603-237-8716

Edwin Mellet
1165 Lost Nation Road
Groveton, NH 03582
goldenrockfarm@hotmail.com
Term Expires June 2017
603-636-2630

Rick Tillotson
111 Munn Rd.
Colebrook, NH 03576
tillybloon@aol.com
Term Expires June 2017
603-490-9877

Michael Waddell
45 Alpine St.
Gorham, NH 03581
mkwad@ne.rr.com
Term Expires June 2018
603-466-5149

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
It would be kind of nice to be able to get a good espresso and Champagne at the top of Mount Washington. Climbers might score big time with the tourist ladies if they can get the whole Clint Eastwood mountain man thing going.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
Re: OMG, a new hotel on Washington
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 05:46:21 pm »
I'm hoping for a sanatorium like in Der Zauberberg (The Magic Mountain) before I get too old. They could roll you out wrapped up in a nice blanket to look over the ravines.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 07:01:11 am by Admin Al »
Al Hospers

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
What a dumb idea.

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
I wouldn't be surprised that the approval is "in the bag" based on Union Leader article today. Some of the ommissioners / politicians think these guys (owners) have done great things for the north country in regards to development and think this is a great idea.

The owners have contributed something like 65K to democrats the last 15 years or so. I guess preserving the environment really isn't a priority.

Hopefully the petitions have an effect on their decision making - but I doubt it.

Elected officials for the most part on both sides of the fence have their heads up their asses and are only out for themselves. If the petition doesn't work - vote them out next time.

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God

Offline dp

• NEClimbs Newbie
Welcome to the trump era!! build it and they will come with there $$$ and there entitled lifestyles! 

Offline nuts

• NEClimbs Full Member
No, I don't think this'll go through.  It's an asinine proposition.  The Cog has a use permit for a railway, not a resort.  And a 35-guest-room-restaurant-resort will be huge: can't see it happening in under 7,000 square feet.  All kinds of variances will need to be granted to construct such a structure.  Fish and Game and TWMNF will both oppose construction.  The AMC will remain silent and I suspect the Society for the Protection of NH Forests will too.

So far, we've managed to create a serious hiccup in the AMC's plans for the Sparkling Cascade Hut (been told recently there'll be an update by year's end) and the AMC's pockets and influences are far deeper than the Cogs.  Remember, the AMC wanted to build on Sphinx Col on the 60's and was shut down.

It is absolutely imperative that the Coos County planning board members feel how strong opposition is to this project.  If you're among those who'd prefer the Cog not build, sign the petitions that are circulating.  And GO TO THE MEETING THIS THURSDAY.  Be vocal. 
Chris Magness

Offline kenreville

• NEClimbs God
Welcome to the trump era!! build it and they will come with there $$$ and there entitled lifestyles!

Mentioning Trump is disingenuous at best.

Nemesis

That water is going to be HEAVY in four years.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:36:50 pm by Nemesis »

Offline Jeremy Cote

• NEClimbs Newbie
These assholes really have some balls. They are such despicable stewards of the mountain. They don't give a shit about the environment. Clean up your fucking tracks.