Author Topic: Climbs near Tamworth NH?  (Read 796 times)

Offline Nico

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Climbs near Tamworth NH?
« on: January 11, 2017, 09:16:57 pm »
Anyone know ice climbs very near Tamworth NH? Top ropes, single pitch, woodsies, anything. For getting out for an hour or two. My nephew bought a place in Ferncroft, an abandoned resort outside Tamworth.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Climbs near Tamworth NH?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 10:52:27 pm »
never heard of anything... George Hurley used to live on Ferncroft Lane and he never mentioned any ice. might be something up in Sandwich Notch, but I don't know...
Al Hospers

Offline Nico

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:40:03 am »
My nephew bought George's house!

Offline David_G48

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 11:52:30 am »
Nico,
Your nephew has talked to George about climbing in the area and I believe has his phone #. The only ice climbs that sometimes come in up in Ferncroft is in an area they call the Bowl. You can find it on the map at the kiosk located in the parking area for hiking just down the street from your nephew's house. It isn't all that good and I have always headed up to North Conway and beyond to ice climb. By the way if your nephew bought the house that George lived in you are in the town of Albany, travel south from the house a few 100 yards and you are in Tamworth, travel north from the house a few 100 yards and you are in Sandwich.
Good luck and enjoy.
David G

Offline rpdoucette

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 04:36:04 pm »
I would pay good money for an ice climb in Tamworth.  When they are "in", the short routes off the Kanc near the Covered Bridge may be the closest.  I think the nearest reliable/worthy destination is Champney Falls.  But the drive+walk makes Cathedral Ledge about the same travel time. 

Offline z.st.jules

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 03:44:52 pm »
Sandwich Notch has small climbs. They're fine but tough to explain how to find. There are also short flows on the side of west rattlesnake that are fun but best bet is probably champney falls.
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Nick Grant

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 10:41:17 pm »
Nico, I live in Tamworth during the summer months. Let me know if your nephew is looking for rock climbing partners once the hot weather rolls around (unless he's an epic crusher, that is).

Offline Nico

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 07:38:23 pm »
I'll let him know - thanks!