Author Topic: Replacement pics for Nomics  (Read 230 times)

Offline PG

• NEClimbs Newbie
Replacement pics for Nomics
« on: February 02, 2017, 08:51:40 am »
It was time to replace the pics on my Nomics and in my haste, what I though I was ordering the original pics. instead I ordered the Pur Ice pics. Last weekend I tried them out and was pleasantly surprised how easily they placed and extracted. A major difference compared to the original pics. Not that the originals were ever a problem. I guess what I'm saying is when something is so good and you can't imagine it could be better, these Pur Ice pics make them so much better. In the past some friends tried my Nomics and said it was like cheating. They made the climbing so easy. I can't imagine what they will say now. On the down side they won't hold well up when mixed climbing. I read a review and it said that they held up ok and to just be careful when torquing the pics in a crack. On ice almost every first swing is a solid placement and extraction less effort than the original pics. I can't imagine what the next generation of ice tools and pics will be like. Some people say it's cheating, I say they enhance the experience. Surely my hat of to the climbers of the early 70s who put the classics with so much less.           

PG

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Replacement pics for Nomics
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 11:00:12 am »
I'm not a Nomic person but it's good to know. I tried them when they first came out but they were heavier than I would like. I'm really surprised that no 3rd party is making replacement picks. You can't buy replacements for the original Ergo or Quark tool any more.
Al Hospers