Author Topic: Specialty gear  (Read 323 times)

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Specialty gear
« on: February 07, 2017, 05:56:12 am »
I fell in love with the camp nano micro biners for alpine climbing.
  In the Tetons where a 10 mile or more day to do a 10 pitch climb is the norm the micro biners and alpine draws are the ticket.  I feel like I need to remind myself that these are specialty pieces and should not be used for everyday cragging and projecting. They are pleanty strong to hold a fall but I don't feel that they are rugged enough to beat up with multiple falls and hangs on sharp bolt hangers etc. I think you want burly heavy biners for that sort of every day wankery.

Offline Coreshot

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Re: Specialty gear
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 08:33:04 am »
They're pretty awesome.  How different could they be?

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Re: Specialty gear
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 04:59:35 pm »
Its simple. they don't have a whole lot of metal in them. you can't have everything. You can't have ultra light weight and bombproof durrability in the same package.
 If you are sport climbing or working hard trad projects where you are takeing lots of falls and hangs you probobly should be useing the most rugged biners you have. screw the weight saveings. the Nanos are awsome for climbs with a real approach. save them for those climbs.  I bought most of mine last spring and allready some are tweaked so the gates stick and some are worn sharp from dragging on rock.