Author Topic: do you unpack your kit?  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Coreshot

• NEClimbs Junior Member
do you unpack your kit?
« on: March 08, 2017, 07:03:46 am »
So I was going through my gear last night in advance of a trip and it occurred to me that I may be shortening the lifespan of my gear.  I'm guilty of leaving the kit mostly packed during the week.  Normally, when I get home I unzip the crampon pocket and pull the water bottles, but that's it.  Last night, I noticed that my puffy isn't quite so puffy anymore and , while nothing as serious as the bed on a Toyota pickup, the crampons had a hint of rust.  Just wondering if you all "unpack and hang" after every outing? And follow up, is there any way to bring back the loft once the puffy gets a little flat?

Offline ralbert20

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Re: do you unpack your kit?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 09:27:39 am »
Ice: I unpack everything, leave it by the fire to dry, then hang it on pegboard. At the end of the season, I wipe all screws down, and spray a light coating of oil for storage - hanging. Jason @ A nice screw said he has never seen old screws in such good shape - no rust on screws ~10 years old. I also take the rope(s) out, uncoil, and leave to dry every time.

Rock: unpack everything and hang.

I am super paranoid about down, so I *never* leave it in a stuff sack. I don't know if there is a way to bring back the loft, as you may have broken the feathers themselves.

Yes, I am (slightly) neurotic.

Offline frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 09:44:34 am »
I wouldn't worry too much about the climbing gear itself.... - if wet/moldy gear is your preference.  But ya, down items should never stay in a stuff sack any longer than necessary.. that absolutely will kill the loft.

How is it that folks don't know this shit?

Offline powdergibbs

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 09:45:15 am »
Generally yes I unpack my kit every time. I inspect my tools and crampons and make fine tune filing adjustments, hang things to dry and air out, and definitely unfurl the puffy.

You should be able revive the puffy loft similar to the way you would after a wash. Toss a couple of clean tennis balls in with the dryer on the lowest setting. Might not be a bad idea to throw it in for a wash anyways if its anything like mine.  ;D

Offline Jeremy Cote

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 11:21:49 am »
My in use gear during the season lives in Plano 68qt totes. I have one for sharps and one for climbing gear(harness, helmet, rack. Sometimes I will bring a third just for ropes. A duffel holds my clothing systems.

After a trip everything gets unpacked and inspected. Ropes flaked and air dried. Crampon and ice axes inspected allowed to dry. I'll hone the points and my picks with a file at this time too. Just 2-3 light passes. Boots are air dried. Rack is sorted and organized/inspected. Things that live on my harness stay there, but draws, slings etc. go on my carry rack. Screws are inspected and dried. Often, I'll take my screws/crampons/rack/harness etc. and blast them with my air hose to get off moisture. This works great. If I don't do that stuff sits out for a night to dry. The next day it all goes back into the Plano boxes. Clothing gets either hung up to dry or put into the laundry if necessary. Once clean and dry it all goes back into the duffel. With this approach, I can grab my boxes and duffel and throw it in the car easily.

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 05:22:34 pm »
Dry it all out by the woodstove.

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 08:23:46 pm »
Everything gets dumped out every day. Not always a neat process. Re-organize at 6:30am next morning for new day adventure :)

Offline frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 09:17:25 am »
It's discussions like this when i really miss Lucky Luke's boneheaded contrarianism... I'm sure he'd insist, that it's better to leave all the gear in a wet & frozen heap in the back of a pickup truck until its needed again...

Offline Nick Grant

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 07:08:01 pm »
Ralbert 20:

Your pegboard is a thing of beauty.  Do you build closet organizers by any chance?  Are you a wedding planner?  Accountant?

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 08:16:07 pm »
Ralbert 20:

Your pegboard is a thing of beauty.  Do you build closet organizers by any chance?  Are you a wedding planner?  Accountant?

Check out some of the ones posted here:

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/gearcloset/

Offline iclimb

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 10:10:13 pm »
I need a gear room. As it is, my gear armoire, which is fairly well organized and large, is busting full.

I'mnot always greatat getting the whole kit unpacked immediately. Usually clothing that needs to be washed is done right away. Down is unpacked. The rack and other items sometimes stays a mess until my next trip.

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 08:49:59 am »
at least dump it out on the floor so it dries..

Offline Coreshot

• NEClimbs Junior Member

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Al Hospers

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 02:40:14 pm »
I have hooks in the stairway going downstairs where ropes and everything except the boots and clothes go. it all dries quite quickly. boots stay upstairs in the corner in the dining room. IMNSHO you really want to air out the metal stuff like crampons, axes and especially screws so they don't rust.
Al Hospers