Author Topic: do you unpack your kit?  (Read 1276 times)

Offline ralbert20

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Re: do you unpack your kit?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 07:36:53 pm »
Thanks!

I actually have a whole gear ROOM. The peg board is just one part of it! I am not up there at the moment to take more photos. Skis, boots, shoes, clothes all go in bins when dry, and the bins sit on shelving... Also, that photo is old! I have more gear, and a new set of Buddhist prayer flags down there now!

I did once build a closet organizer, but it was mostly bookshelves hung on the walls when I saw how much California Closets wanted for their crap!

I am a reformed chemist who now works IT.

Offline danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 06:01:10 am »
Now that this has delved into gear storage, how many of you have a wife and 4 kids that climb with you?  I wish I could get a good picture of my gear storage area, but it's essentially a short hallway with a door on one end and hard to get a good feel of how I've done it.  Somehow, I've managed to accumulate 15+ pairs of shoes over the last 5 years as the kids have grown and we have upgraded, plus extra harnesses and other gear- seems like we are always taking someone climbing with us!

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 04:03:32 pm »
How many use electric boot/glove driers? My wife got me one a few years ago and I don't how i did it without. Boot odor is virtually eliminated. This is the one I have... I use it almost every day:

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxDry-Heavy-Duty-Dryer-Glove/dp/B014SB2X0G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489608181&sr=8-2&keywords=boot+dryer

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 01:13:11 pm »
I just hang my stuff over by the wood stove. totally dry, including boots, in a couple of hours.

How many use electric boot/glove driers? My wife got me one a few years ago and I don't how i did it without. Boot odor is virtually eliminated. This is the one I have... I use it almost every day:

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxDry-Heavy-Duty-Dryer-Glove/dp/B014SB2X0G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489608181&sr=8-2&keywords=boot+dryer

Al Hospers

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 08:26:17 pm »
I just hang my stuff over by the wood stove. totally dry, including boots, in a couple of hours.

If we ran our woodstove consistently all week I would do the same, but our work schedules make keeping it going a bit of a logistical impossibility.

Offline ChuckS

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2017, 05:26:42 pm »
I try to unpack everything and leave it out for a few days to to make sure it dries, but I'll have to say I can get lazy at times and don't even do this.

+1 for tossing a couple of tennis balls in with the dryer to puff up down.
Always in search of the best gear bag and survival gear

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2017, 11:01:50 pm »
All I know is that I hate it when I find an old fish can and moldy orange peels from the previous weekend in my pack at the parking lot when I check to make sure everything is in there before heading up. I think I am pretty much the opposite of Rob when it comes to gear organization. I prefer the heap method.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 11:05:59 pm by M_Sprague »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait