Author Topic: Recent Katahdin Conditions?  (Read 255 times)

Offline dave095790

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Recent Katahdin Conditions?
« on: March 30, 2017, 10:54:55 am »
I've got a short window to make a big day trip to Katahdin Saturday and I was hoping to get some info on current condition.

Is the road covered with snow/ice from Abol Bridge? If not, how far is it bare road? Worth bringing a bike to connect to the snow?

Snow coverage up in South, Great, and North Basins?

Main plan is to ski tour solo, not particularly interested in technical climbing (though will have tools as insurance, no rope). Are the skiing conditions totally shit right now?

Any info form the last month would be helpful to develop anticipated conditions, thanks!

Dave
239-two-three-three-2002

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
Re: Recent Katahdin Conditions?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 12:38:29 pm »
That whole area of Maine is still under 2+ feet of snow. You should be able to ski from parking lot with no issues.

Are the skiing conditions totally shit right now?

Ummm, best April conditions we have had in the East in decades? Where you been hiding?

Here's a good resource for seeing snow depth anywhere in the US... the link will look weird as I have it focused on Katahdin area with today's info:

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/map.html?ql=station&zoom=&loc=Latitude%2CLongitude%3B+City%2CST%3B+or+Station+ID&var=ssm_depth&dy=2017&dm=4&dd=5&dh=18&snap=1&o9=1&o8=1&o12=1&o13=1&lbl=m&o16=1&o7=1&mode=pan&extents=us&min_x=-69.383333333336&min_y=45.483333333329&max_x=-68.141666666669&max_y=46.183333333329&coord_x=-68.76250000000249&coord_y=45.833333333329&zbox_n=&zbox_s=&zbox_e=&zbox_w=&metric=0&bgvar=dem&shdvar=shading&width=800&height=450&nw=800&nh=450&h_o=0&font=0&js=1&uc=0

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 12:43:36 pm »
Also going to chime in again now that I re-read your post. Avalanche conditions are still similar to mid-winter. I would not enter any steep terrain on Katahdin solo this weekend. Also, are you even allowed to enter the park solo this time of year? Pretty sure at the least you need a day use permit and most likely this is around the time Katahdin is closed. I'm not going to go digging on BSA's website but do have you done your homework here?

And a day tour from parking to either Basin sounds like a serious feat? It takes about 8 hours of skinning just to get to Chimney Pond... can't imagine trying to pull off a car-to-car day tour up there.

Maybe you should checkout Gulf of Slides or something more reasonable. West side of Washington is pretty damn great right now too.

Offline dave095790

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 06:36:16 pm »
Thanks for the info.  It was for last weekend, which was their last operating day for the winter; they closed on Sunday (1 April), I think they re-open mid-May?

I've made it to Chimney Pond in under 5 hrs pulling a sled with 3 days worth of supplies, probably would be close to 4 hours with just a day pack. 

Their skiing conditions were terrible, according to someone who was there a about 10 days ago.  With little new snow since then, and temps well below freezing everything would have been wind scoured and bullet proof - thus not making the skin in worth it.  Had temps been above freezing, and sunny - conditions would have been workable and worth going for it. 

I've actually never been up there with good ski conditions, it's always been bulletproof and wind scoured.  It's a shame the park closes in the spring, but I get their reason. 

I opted for Mt Washington instead, and it did not disappoint. 

I would agree in that this is one of the deepest snowpacks and longest lasting winters; but I would also say that the conditions have fluctuated all over the place, with many days being downright terrible, but many days have been epic; and I most certainly have had my share - thanks for asking. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:39:18 pm by dave095790 »