Author Topic: Climbing in the Czech Republic  (Read 540 times)

Offline grubbers

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Climbing in the Czech Republic
« on: April 01, 2017, 05:48:43 PM »
Anyone been? I might be heading over to Poland to visit some family this spring and figured I might as well get some climbing in on that side of the pond. Just trying to dig up some good info. I've found many sites about the climbing in the Czech Republic, none of which I can understand.

Offline pappy

• NEClimbs God
Re: Climbing in the Czech Republic
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 10:03:21 AM »
I seem to recall an article by Russ Clune in Climbing back in the '80s when it was still Czechoslovakia. My understanding is that it was similar to that whacko German style on sandstone of widely spaced ring bolts and knotted slings for pro (always wanted to try that, though now I can use age as an excuse not to), though I'm sure since the Wall came down the sport climbing virus has spread there, too.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

Offline JohnR

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 11:52:42 AM »
Consider the Tatra Mountains -
for great trad climbing experience and culture steeped in the Polish mountaineering traditions and history.

Offline the_other_andy

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 07:43:43 PM »
ukclimbing.com has a great areas/routes section for just about anywhere.

Offline ChuckS

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 05:35:22 PM »
I just spent 4 months in Czech for school. If you can make the journey I'd head south to Slovakia and the high Tatras. Sadly I've only driving through and stopped for a day hike, but looks like the area has a lot of potential.
Always in search of the best gear bag and survival gear