Author Topic: Black flies!  (Read 1241 times)

Offline pappy

• NEClimbs God
Re: Black flies!
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 06:46:48 pm »
A very strange year, maybe someone has an explanation: I haven't been over to NH, so can't answer about the bugs there. I am out pretty much all day every weekend in the Daks, and it has (so far, and nearly July!) been the most benign season I've ever seen up here. I've sprayed on DEET a few times mostly out of habit, think I've actually been bitten once. The bugs are pretty much my biggest beef with the Northeast, if we can bottle whatever is going on it could be stellar. And how can it be four bugs in NH and a pretty pinched anemic half bug in the Daks? Enquiring minds want to know.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

Offline MT

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2017, 08:19:31 pm »
In the Daks a couple weeks ago and bugs weren't too bad. Not too much wind and DW Off was suffient. I was at Sugarloaf last week. Slight breeze and sun and there were barely any bugs. Mosquitos at the lot were terrible, though. Go figger?

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 06:32:38 am »
Black Flies have slacked off here in the Valley, but the mosquitoes everywhere I go are incredible. Ticks pretty bad as well. I get one or more every time I'm out, even in my garden. I was sitting on the deck and got 2 the other day!!

That said I was on Whitehorse with Brad on Wednesday. Nice breeze and there were no bugs at all.
Al Hospers

Offline Bill

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • It's All Good, Just Climb!
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 12:20:08 pm »
Lost River Crag on Monday and bugs were not much of an issue. 

Skeeters were pretty nasty as usual the next morning on the walk down the fire road to Mount Oscar.  Once we were into the woods on the climber's trail no issue.  Given past experience I was prepared for the worst from the blackflies as the day warmed up.  Never happened.  They were pretty much a nonissue.