Author Topic: Petzl GriGri+ Review  (Read 912 times)

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
Petzl GriGri+ Review
« on: May 18, 2017, 12:18:38 PM »
Curious how Petzl improved on the GriGri 2 design? I got a few weeks to try it out and here's my detailed review with video:

https://northeastalpinestart.com/2017/05/18/gear-review-petzl-grigri/

Offline CharlesCog

• NEClimbs Newbie
Petzl GriGri Review
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 03:14:53 PM »
Hey Babycoat you are definitely in the non Grigri school...tee hee

Personally I use a Cinch and I agree with what babycoat said in essence...I doubt there is much advantage in a Grigri 2 as in essence Petzl changed the Gri Gri to work like a Cinch. Having said that I think the article Robert pointed us to is a good balanced Review and the truth be told there is probably very little in it. If you can, try both and make up you own mind, otherwise try the one you can get.   

The real issue is what one of the guys said before - if you are an all rounder you will never actually need a self locking belay device. If you want a nice shiny gadget then get one anyway. If you are a hardcore route pushing sport climber then it will be indispensable And maybe if you are belaying large groups in a top rope scenario then get one to make your life easier.

If you are used to normal belay devices then you do not need one - but it can make your life a whole lot easier if you are constantly banging away at hard stuff. Actually sometimes even then the ATC will be easier to work with - you need to have some judgement. If you do mostly trad then dont even consider it...