Author Topic: TR: 24 Hour in the Gunks June 3rd and 4th 2017  (Read 292 times)

Offline dave095790

• NEClimbs Junior Member
TR: 24 Hour in the Gunks June 3rd and 4th 2017
« on: June 04, 2017, 08:48:49 pm »
I'm moving out of the area in early July after 2.5 years in the Northeast and wanted a fun way to close out the Gunks. 

I had bounced the idea of a 24 hour marathon with some friends, and given the unpleasant weather in North Conway on Sunday, my friend Alayna agreed to the idea on 36 hour notice.  We decided 9am Saturday at the West Trapps lot. 

We were both running late, and after a brief morning shower, we were climbing at the Uberfall by 1015am.  We had no goal except have fun until the next day. 

We knocked out Horseman and Apoplexy pretty fast, then Alayna wanted to tackle Sonja for not-so-brief beat down. 

We moved beyond the Closure and banged out Middle Earth, Sente, and Think Slabs Direct before sunset. 

We broke out the headlamps and settled in for the night-slog.  We shifted over and did Arrow - which might be my all time favorite route at the Gunks - I just love it every time.  Twice now in dark. 

We had plans of going over to High E but headlamp issues caused us to need to head back to the car to get a replacement; this is where the wheels started to move slowly.  We headed back to the Uberfall, and after the round trip to the cars and brewing up some Mountain House, we headed up Bunny around 0100 am. 

While rapping down, we heard a car alarm go off in the parking lot, and given 2 of the 3 cars in the lot were ours, we opted to walk back again to make sure nothing was wrong.  Sure enough, nothing was wrong, but we lost of a lot more time. 

We then went and did Betty, a powerful 5.3.  After getting back to the ground, Alayna really wanted a short power nap - so we both found comfy spots on the ground and took a 15-45 minute nap - not really sure how long we snoozed. 

When we got back going it was fully light out, and we breezed up Classic and then went over to City Lights.  We got back down from City Lights around 0930 and we knew we had at least one more in the tank. 

We opted to pack up and walk through the Uberball, and were going to take anything that was open - the winner was Laurel.  We make quick work and were both back on the ground around 1005 am - almost exactly 24 hrs after we started. 

All in, I think it was around 21 guide book pitches on 12 routes, with only one real patsy of a route.  Our pace was about as casual as imaginable, given more motivation for speed and/or climbing more volume the pitch count could easily have been 30+. 

Alayna was an awesome partner, Thanks!

Lots of fun, lots of data to take away for use on bigger routes in bigger mountains.  I won't go into any details, you'll have to do it and learn for yourself.  Highly recommended though. 

Looking forward to the next couple weekends in New Hampshire. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 08:53:53 pm by dave095790 »

Offline Nick Grant

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: TR: 24 Hour in the Gunks June 3rd and 4th 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 09:16:02 pm »
Dave, that's awesome.  A cool thing to do.  Too bad you had to march down to the car (and back up) all the time.  Once I'm off the DL, I'd be psyched to do something like you did.  But then, it's easy to weave big dreams when you're unable to climb and are an armchair mountaineer.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: TR: 24 Hour in the Gunks June 3rd and 4th 2017
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 03:46:19 pm »
sounds like a great time was had by all...
Al Hospers